Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,125   Online: 939

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: LF meet up?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rafal - email sent. I cant make tomorrow, but am still set for Sunday if you go ahead then.

Fran

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sunday it is! If this means anyone else could join who couldn't on Saturday, you are now very welcome. See you around 10.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A1 Rafal,

Sorry to put you to so much trouble....

Fran

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No trouble at all, my fault in getting dates mixed up. Looking forward, very much.
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi all

Apologies but can't make this one, too many nights out I'm afraid, best of luck and try for the next,

Paul
    A painter interprets an image, a film photographer captures an image and a digital photographer creates an image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wanted to thank Fran and Gerry for braving their Sunday to spend a full and an intensive day at my place in Co Wicklow, working through the intricacies of rise, fall, shift, tilt, and swing, bits of the Zone System, and a host of other things that are relevant to Large Format photography.

Fran brought a breathtaking print of backlit trees in a wood, which showed not only his composition skills, but also the beauty of a 4x5 FP4+ developed in Rodinal. I don't think I have seen many better examples of how nicely this combination can work, and while I am very aware of its look in a smaller format—I used to use it in 35 mm—the large sheet of film allowed for acuity to glow (literally) without the grain.

Gerry showed gorgeous colours on his 4x5 Velvia transparencies, add to that very strong, yet clean, sweeping compositions, and we spent a lot of time in front of the lightbox, slightly saddened that the easiest way to take those further would be through digital colour printing...

I promised you a few links, so here they are:

I have enjoyed your company very much, and I hope that sharing some of my experience can be of use to you. I am looking forward to another LF meeting, and I expect some early results, by the time we have our APUG get-together in spring 2013. In the meantime, thanks for the bread, the wine—and the books, which I will return the next time we see each other.
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rafal,

Just a note of thanks to Ray and yourself for hosting yesterday, and for your generosity with your time and extensive LF and mono knowledge. It was a most enjoyable day, hugely informative and great fun. It was a pleasure to see both your own and Fran's work. My envy of LF owners has but grown, and I will have to keep a much closer eye on ebay and adverts.ie in the coming months!

Even if it is just a small group, having the opportunity to get together every so often is invaluable.

I think the only link I mentioned yesterday related to the only other LF field camera user in Ireland that I am aware of: http://artblackandwhite.com/ It has been some time since I looked at this site - it used have some lovely mono landscapes from West Cork, but on a very quick look just now I see a transition to "D" work, but hopefully still plenty of "A"!

Have a good Christmas and I look forward to our Spring APUG meeting.

Gerry

(PS - The hobnobs were great and the espressos were the best I have ever tasted!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes Rafal, as I mentioned, a fantastic day. Huge thanks to you for your knowledge and hospitality on the day. I learned a lot - and am still digesting it!

The kodak safelight test is first on the cards for tomorrow!

Thanks to yourself and Ray for putting up with us!

Fran

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Rafel,(and everyone else) just following up on your invite from the LF forum, I'd be delighted to meet up at some stage with your self and the LF group,perhaps at your spring meeting. I'll hopefully have the 4x5 up and running by then and no doubt will need some expert input from those who know. Sadly though, my enlargers don't stretch to 4x5... yet, so I'll be limited to paper negs for a while for printing, which I suppose is a cheap way of learning about the camera. Thanks again for posting and the invite.
    Tommy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tommy, welcome to the Irish corner of APUG! It would be nice to see you at the next meeting. I am sure Vincent ("TEX") will suggest some dates soon. No need to bring 4x5 work with you, any analogue prints would be great, but we are a forgiving group, if you just want to pop in and see the crowd.

On the other hand, if you start in 4x5, minus the enlarger, may I suggest you do some contact prints? They can look stunning, and small large format is beautiful.
    Rafal Lukawiecki

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin