Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,984   Online: 832

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Moving to Dublin from the US

Hello

In July I'll be moving to Dublin with my wife. This relocation will last 18 months - 2 years or so. After that, who knows?

As a traditional film photographer, this is a bigger transition than for someone who only shoots digital, as all of you can imagine. I will be leaving my home darkroom back in the states.

So, can anyone suggest information such as a) darkrooms I could rent, b) shops where I can buy chemicals and such, c) places at which I might scan film negs to digitize them, d) places at which I might find comradeship (hence I'm starting here).

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I don't see the problem, as you can still shoot film and process them all when you are back in the USA.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    fancy a trip to london?
    http://www.fourcornersfilm.co.uk/
    not really aware of any facilities in dublin or belfast even, but they must be there.
    Labyrinth Photographic Printing
    121 Roman Road, Bethnal Green, London E2 0QN
    020 8709 9961
    http://www.labyrinthphotographic.co.uk/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Utilize the groups here..thete is an ireland group

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hallo,
    I am based in the UK not the Republic of Ireland but my initial suggestions would be to look at three web suppliers:
    Silverprint
    Ag-photographic
    Firstcall
    They would be a good start point for getting supplies (at least by post!)
    Ilford also operate a web shop.

Perhaps others may be able to chip-in with any "bricks & mortar" shops in Ireland.

This may be a longshot but the RPS (Royal Photographic Society) operate regional organisations, they may have one in Eire/Dublin - have a look on their website. I am sure they would welcome an email enquiry from you, even as a non-member. If they have an Eire region most will probably be digital shooters but even the region that I attend has people who have shot film etc and respect what/how I shoot. Worth a try.

Also, another forum site called Film and Darkroom User (FADU) may be worth looking at for Eire based contacts.

Enjoy your time there, a great city & do visit the Guinness brewery!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take as much film as you can with you, prices and taxes are significantly higher in Europe. As has been suggested contact some of the Irish group here, I met two of them on an Ilford factory tour and they are a great bunch -they were running workshops.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Chris,

Check out the Ireland section on apug. There is a group of us who meet up regularly for print showings and days out photographing.

For supplies there is www.thephotoshop.ie which I run and also Gunns Camera shop on Wexford street in Dublin.

I will soon be renting out my darkroom in Trim which is not far from Dublin. It is made up of two rooms totaling 400 sq. feet. I have numerous enlargers catering for all formats from 35mm to 4x5 (B&W and colour). My sink is 8"x4" and I have a film drying cabinet and print drying racks.

There are also smaller darkrooms for rent in Dublin at www.galleryofphotography.ie and www.blockt.ie

Looking forward to meeting you.

Regards,
    Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Take as much film as you can with you, prices and taxes are significantly higher in Europe. As has been suggested contact some of the Irish group here, I met two of them on an Ilford factory tour and they are a great bunch -they were running workshops.

Ian
    Maybe I mis-posted. I thought I did post this in the Ireland forum. Is the group something different?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Peter

Thank you. I'll be reaching out very soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looking forward to meeting you, we are a pleasantly small group. As Peter said we meet regularly, usually some 10-15 of us. Twice a year for a print showing, and in-between to go and photograph. I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd be willing to help you connect with whatever you need.

I hope your move is an easy one.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin