Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,423   Online: 722

Thread: Dented filter

Shooter
    35mm

Dented filter

Hi Everyone.
    My hd filter some how got dented on the side and now it won't turn. Other then that the filter is not scratched and it is still new . Can this be fixed? And if so where can I get it fixed?

Cheers
    BocaNY

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I recall seeing a type of vice grips to aid in the removal of filters and perhaps that might still be available. Other than that the old cure for a stuck filter was to press a rubber sole shoe up tight against the filter and twist the lens.
    Vincent Brady
    "Visual art is a chase after the invisable and B&W photos remind you of this search for what can't be seen,for what's missing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Assuming it is stuck on your lens, and you are trying to remove it: Get a sheet of silicone rubber (or some other grippy material that won't damage the glass) and press on the filter gently but firmly towards the lens, face on, while turning it to unlock. Don't squeeze the sides, but press the ring, preferably all along the rim, not inwards or sideways, but in the direction of the camera.

In general, aluminium-barrel filters tend to do this, the brass ones less so.

If your filter is off but won't attach, then the barrel is too dented, and you'd be best off replacing the barrel while retaining the glass, if it's worth it. Some filter manufacturers will do this for you.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Put a thick rubber band around the filter and slowly twist it off.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin