Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,148   Online: 1075

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    What a terribly demanding question. I've photographed much of Ireland's coast from Bantry round to Strangford Lough and its hard to think of an area I don't enjoy and I'd love to return to much of it.

I suppose though that if really cornered I'd pick the Connemara coast from east of Glinsk round to Clifden as the best of the best. Honorable mentions though to the northern part of Inishowen; northwest Donegal round Dunfanaghy; the coast just north of Sligo round Streedagh; and the Co.Mayo coast round Westport and Achill Island. Then of course there's the Beara/Sheeps Head and Mizen Head areas and the illogical fact that some of the best photography I've done was on the beach at Rossknowlagh right in front of the hotel with caravan parks and holiday homes all round me. I feel guilty every year I don't return.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Henderson View Post
    What a terribly demanding question.
    I agree, even when I was posting the question I found it hard to pick just one favourit place!

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone with favourites/suggestions in Northern Ireland? I'd like to make a trip up in the summer and looking for some Bill Schwab type inspired seascapes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Fintan,

Not so sure about Northern Ireland (currently doing research) but if you are in/around Donegal, I would recommend heading toward Dunlewey (http://www.dunleweycentre.com/index.htm) it's about 10 years since I was there but my recollection is that there is some spectacular scenery along the route to get to Dulewey. This is not seascape location but worth a look.

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    Anyone with favourites/suggestions in Northern Ireland? I'd like to make a trip up in the summer and looking for some Bill Schwab type inspired seascapes.
    I've just processed some nice shots of Carlingford Lough looking into Ireland.

Strangford Lough/ Ards Peninsula is another tranquil location with the Mourne mountains in the background.

You're never short of opportunities around the North coast...Dunluce castle etc, although anyone who owns a camera is there at sunset!
    Last edited by Gary Holliday; 05-14-2007 at 07:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Glenn da Loch is IMHO the primo site in Ireland -- but only if you can go there OUT of the tourist season. Nothing worse than setting up your LF camera only to wait 2 or 3 hours for a break in the traffic to get a clean shot of the church!

Otherwise, at the risk of sounding touristy, I've lived in 7 countries and visited some two dozen others and I do not think there is a more beautiful place on earth than Skellig Michael. But if there is, it is surely located somewhere in the Dingle, Iveraugh (sp?), or Beara Peninsulas. Painter Frank Clark has a summer home in Connemara and I can certainly understand why. Basically, the West and Southwest of Ireland are "God's Special Acre" and are unmatched anywhere on the Island -- indeed, anywhere else on earth.

You're a lucky bunch to be living in Eire!

Oh, and don't forget Giant's Causeway -- if there was ever a stairway from Heaven, that must be it!
    Last edited by mmcclellan; 05-15-2007 at 05:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: left a word ou
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fair play to you Michael, living far away in the war zone but still thinking of Ireland.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    I've just processed some nice shots of Carlingford Lough looking into Ireland.

Strangford Lough/ Ards Peninsula is another tranquil location with the Mourne mountains in the background.

You're never short of opportunities around the North coast...Dunluce castle etc, although anyone who owns a camera is there at sunset!

Thanks Gary, I'll check them out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dferrie View Post
    I was thinking that it might be good to share some of our personal favourite locations around the country so that we might get some hidden gems from each other.

David
    are you saying there might be places in Ireland that might not present great photo ops?? Nay nay I say...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcclellan View Post

Oh, and don't forget Giant's Causeway -- if there was ever a stairway from Heaven, that must be it!
    It's a stairway under the sea to Scotland, I've a nice abstract series on the Causeway, but you'll need to hide the tripod as it's owned by the National Trust.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin