Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,374   Online: 1116

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Rock of Cashel day out.

Due to the success of our day out at Clonmacnoise, we may as well start planning the next one. As my mother would say, "while you have the hammer in your hand"

I think we were agreed on The Rock of Cashel so jump in with what ever dates are good for you, say around end of May or early June? Any later may not suit the Penguin as she is migrating to France later in June

If anyone knows any other sites close by which are worth visiting, let us know. Honorary Irish man , Michael McClellan, has informed me that there is a spectacular Cistercian monastery only 15 minutes walk away which is visible from the Rock.

I think I would definitely stay over the night before for this one. Could even take a few shots that evening and check the place out. Oh and down a few pints of the black stuff.

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I sure wish I could join you....

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Early june would be good for me. It's only 45 mins down the road for me so I'll save my green cards for nights away for longer trips

Do you think this would be a good spot for some IR Peter? If so could you give us all a primer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Early June seems good for me too, assuming it'll be on a weekend again?
    Should I arrange the weather now? You can't be too careful...

Síle
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    Early june would be good for me. It's only 45 mins down the road for me so I'll save my green cards for nights away for longer trips

Do you think this would be a good spot for some IR Peter? If so could you give us all a primer?
    If the sun is out, then the Rock will be a great spot for IR. That second ruin we went to at Clonmacnoise would have been class for IR if the weather was better.

David was asking me the same question recently so I just copied my response here:

"Over the last few years I mainly used the Maco 820c ISO100 IR film. It is discontinued now but Efke are making an exact replacement which is available from www.retrophotographic.com or www.freestylephoto.biz

The strongest IR film available is Kodak's HIE which is made in 35mm only and you can get it from Gunns on Wexford Street. Gunns should also have Ilford's SFX film which is a near Infrared film but a good one to start with.

I used both Kodak's and Ilford's IR films but settled on the Maco/Efke as it was available in 120. The Efke films sensitivity is somewhere between the Ilford and Kodak films. The only other IR film being made at present is the Rollei IR820 ISO400 film but it is only available online like the Efke and not as strong an IR effect, but it is faster so I plan to test it out soon."

I will just add that the Kodak HIE must be loaded and unloaded in darkness so unless you have two cameras or two film backs, you will only get to shoot one roll.

You will need a red filter for slight IR effet or an opaque filter for stronger IR effect. Ilford make a plastic, almost opaque filter, simply called an SFX Deep Red filter. Its very cheap compared to the glass ones available from other manufacturers. Here is some info on the SFX film: http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...00/sfx200.html

I would recommend starting with the SFX, as it is readily available from Gunns and made in 35mm & 120 and is much easier to use then the HIE. I can give you some help on exposure and developement advice when we are on the Rock.

Also there is plenty of info on IR films here on Apug.

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would Saturday/Sunday 26th or 27th of May... or Saturday/Sunday 2nd or 3rd of June suit anyone else?
    It's not too far off.. but we do need to get in before Migration...

Síle
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Síle View Post
    Would Saturday/Sunday 26th or 27th of May... or Saturday/Sunday 2nd or 3rd of June suit anyone else?
    It's not too far off.. but we do need to get in before Migration...

Síle
    Saturday the 2nd would be my preferred date, have a dinner that night and could be severly overhung on the sunday And would like to try this time without your solpadines [?spelling?]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    Saturday the 2nd would be my preferred date, have a dinner that night and could be severly overhung on the sunday And would like to try this time without your solpadines [?spelling?]
    That date is good for me too.. and I'll bring the Solpadeines along .. just in case
    Síle

Shooter
    Holga
    I'm in for June 2... does anyone know when the slow tractor race is?

:-)

Cath

Shooter
    Holga
    :-)

I can answer my own question: June 3 and 4th.
    Apparently it's a hoot

http://www.isvrally.com/tr.htm

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin