Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,631   Online: 1103

Shooter
    Holga

bonjour mes amis

hello friends,

penguin reporting in from paris.

have spent some time printing at self color - rue des vinaigriers and am happy to recommend it. used up some fortezo paper i'd been carrying around with me since brooklyn -- gorgeous tones.

have decided i want to paint on top of my photos (not in the sense of hand coloring, but more in the sense of crazy layers of color and scratches) -- any advice?

had transparency film processed at negatif plus - they did a nice job.

otherwise - am trying to lay off les croissants amondes (sp???) mais c'est plus dificile. went out to versailles and had the gardens to myself. arrived at 7AM and wandered around and around. the place was empty. popped out of a garden at 11AM and there were thousands of people at the palace. i made a quick escape and by noon i was back in paris!

see you all in a few weeks,

catherine

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dear Catherine,

I see you have a nice time in Paris. I guess you'll find it interesting to visit Pere Lachaise for some pictures of sculpture and the rest that you'll find there.

My advice for painting and scratching your pistures is: use some paint and rub it on the photographs and then use a sharp object to scratch them :rolleyes:

After that, you can finish destroying them by throwing them in the trash can or burning them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hey fluffy, how romantic is Paris these days? have you found le moyen format yet?

Great to see you back printing, I know how much you miss your darkroom.

I would be inclinded to disagree that scratching will destroy your negs. Heres a linky, has nude stuff so perhaps NSFW

http://www.vraahojskole.dk/emil/KILL.htm

http://www.vraahojskole.dk/emil/TEKNIKSIDE-KILL.htm

Enjoy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffy_penguins View Post
    hello friends,

have spent some time printing at self color - rue des vinaigriers and am happy to recommend it. used up some fortezo paper i'd been carrying around with me since brooklyn -- gorgeous tones.

have decided i want to paint on top of my photos (not in the sense of hand coloring, but more in the sense of crazy layers of color and scratches) -- any advice?

had transparency film processed at negatif plus - they did a nice job.

otherwise - am trying to lay off les croissants amondes (sp???) mais c'est plus dificile. went out to versailles and had the gardens to myself. arrived at 7AM and wandered around and around. the place was empty. popped out of a garden at 11AM and there were thousands of people at the palace. i made a quick escape and by noon i was back in paris!

see you all in a few weeks,

catherine
    Kim Weston has done a series of painting over platinum, you can see a sample of his work here http://www.kimweston.com/painted_pho...ted_photos.htm

I have seen a number of these images at his workshop - some are outstanding, some are, well, interesting. But theydo sell.

Looks like you are enjoying that wonderful city, make sure you get to try "les escargots"

Mike

Shooter
    Holga
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I did make it out to Pere Lachaise but the Holga misfired... either that or I was waving my arms around while taking photos (wouldn't be the first time)... will def. go back before I go back to Ireland.

Great links - don't know either artists and look forward to noodling around their sites to get inspiration and technique.

went to the louvre today. best photo: i jumped in front of 100 tourists snapping pix of the venus de milo with their camera / digital photos and took *their* picture. it was hilarious! they got a picture of me... instead of venus... but even better i got them completely unawares. not something i can repeat. they just thought i was a crazy american. i didn't correct them!

c.

Shooter
    35mm
    hello friends,

Bonjour,

Good to hear the migration went well, hope you are getting better weather there than the lovely rain we have here today, feels like we skipped the summer and have gone straight to autumn.

I haven't been to Paris for about 6-7 years, but as I recall on the weekends (certainly it used to be Sunday) in the Tuilleries Gardens there are fountains where children (and adults) sail colourful toy ships, it's actually a lasting memory I have of Paris and an image I never captured but felt that it would have made a nice print and somewhat timeless print.

Have a great time,

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Holga
    David - the weather is gorgeous. A little rain most days (but I'm used to that), otherwise sunny and cool! I am cramming in 30 hours of darkroom time (it's a better deal if you buy in a block) before next Tuesday. Incroyable! Shooting can only happen at dawn and dusk, which is just as well. I will look for the toy ships... I remember seeing some boats at Les Jardins Luxembourg. I wonder if it's the same gang.

Fintan - I never answered you about romance and Paris. There is kissing everywhere! Even at the darkroom, I arrived and the front desk guy was making out with his girlfriend. I tell ya, there's something in the water!

C.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fintan - I never answered you about romance and Paris. There is kissing everywhere! Even at the darkroom, I arrived and the front desk guy was making out with his girlfriend. I tell ya, there's something in the water!

C.
    Hope you're having a ball there fluffy! It sounds wonderful, it's a few years since I was in Paris myself.. it must really be nearly time I went again!

Um and while you're there... Any chance you could bottle some of that water and bring it home? :rolleyes:

Au revoir mon pingouin amie...

Síle
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello Catherine,

otherwise - am trying to lay off les croissants amondes (sp???) mais c'est plus dificile. w
    catherine
    I presume you would write "les croissants aux amandes", and I am agree with you , they are delicious, especially in Paris' bakeries (in most cases).
    A little "rich", but a little of good food doesn't harm

I recommend you "Ladurée" macaroons too, in any (almost) stuning flavour you'd like. There are at least two shop, one along the "Champs Elysée", the other between Concorde place and La Madeleine church.

To go back on topic, all theses places are very photogenic

Have a nice stay in France,

Best regards,

Raphael

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin