Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,548   Online: 947

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was hoping to get into Airfield soon to see how they hang and layout their exhibitions and I may get to do so this coming weekend. I have been there many times but never when they had any exhibitions running. What you have reported Rafal doesn't sound great. I know they use the Lilly Butler room for some of the exhibitions, did you go into that room?

Recently I provisionally booked two weeks starting the weekend of 20th September as time was passing while we waited for Sirius in Cork to check out, and Airfield was getting booked up close to September.

I don't mind looking elsewhere but we really need to nail a venue soon so if anyone else has any suggestions, speak now or forever hold your peace.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only room I could not see was the one that had the private lunch function booked. I could see through the windows that there were some pictures hanging, but I did not examine it, as no one was allowed in. I don't know if this was the Lilly Butler room, sorry. The staff did not have much idea about exhibiting photography when I enquired there, but the lady at the shop (by the entrance) told me that the restaurant was the only place for exhibits and that they had no dedicated space.

Still, even if we cannot get anything better, I will be very happy to contribute my 3-4 pictures to hang there. I am happy to do a spot check on any other place anyone may suggest.

Rafal

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here's a reply I got from Airfield yesterday:

"The Lily Butler Room is used for private functions from time to time so is not always accessible to the public so we aim to concentrate the bulk of the work in the library and café. However as the Lilly Butler room is often used for corporate events, it is often a good place to showcase work and may even generate a few sales. It just needs to be understood from the outset that this is the case re access. The current exhibition was concentrated in the Lilly Butler room as we are installing new lights in the library. The total number of pieces in the last exhibition was 32. Are you settled on hanging your work on 22nd and opening on 23rd Sept?"

I need to confirm these dates soon so whats it going to be people? does it sound ok or should we keep looking? I don't mind either way.

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Airfield?

To be honest, I would now have reservations about Airfield being the best option after hearing all that. I know the Lily Butler room is light and airy and Airfield itself is in a fabulous setting, but as it is difficult to get to for anyone without a car, if the viewing times are limited it simply adds more complications.

A lot of gallery spaces are open to the public without limitation, I think that's what we should be aiming for?

Síle
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi guys,

I'm not sure that Airfield is the optimal choice, access not only to the rooms but to airfield itself is not wonderful. What kind of cost are they talking about?

Has anyone checked other options, which might be more suitable? One place that comes to mind is the Mermaid Arts Centre in Bray (http://www.mermaidartscentre.ie/), it frequently has photographic exhibitions, is open (free of charge) 6 days a week, has a cafe which is very popular and draws people in and they then check out the exhibitions. It's on the main street in Bray, plenty of buses, dart and has car parking (albeit not free). I have no idea about their costs, requirements or even if it has been checked out, just mentioning it as an option.

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I understand the concerns over Airfield as a venue. I'm worried that this thread has lost all momentum over the last 3 months since I started this thread and I fear that we may not do this exhibition in 2008. Several people that posted early on havent posted since. I do hope I'm wrong however I've seen a few group shows on APUG fail to materialise sadly.

Rafal Sile and David, if you want to make suggestions on an alternative venue please phone them and get all the details and what slots they have free this year, september or afterwards. Time is running out for 2008

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dferrie View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm not sure that Airfield is the optimal choice, access not only to the rooms but to airfield itself is not wonderful. What kind of cost are they talking about?
    Davis
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz View Post
    There is no charge to exhibit but Airfield take a 25% commission on any sales which to my knowledge is very reasonable.Peter
    We also have to cover whatever refreshments we want at the opening night. Shouldn't amount to much between all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by dferrie View Post
    Has anyone checked other options, which might be more suitable?David
    Doesn't look like it. In the interests of keeping this exhibition alive, I vote for Airfield cause if we delay any longer, it will be into 2009. I have never exhibited in a gallery so I'm happy to show my 2 or 3 prints anywhere.

Peter
    Last edited by thefizz; 03-14-2008 at 05:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just on the commission thing, the venues I've shown at, the percentages were 40% 25% and 20%.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never been to Airfield but I think it sounds like a good choice. I think it's important we have an exhibition this year which we can then build on next year (and future years). There's nothing to stop us exhibiting there and if we get interest elsewhere to take the exhibition on tour. Everyone seems very gloomy at the moment, cheer up! we do this for fun!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by melball View Post
    I've never been to Airfield but I think it sounds like a good choice. I think it's important we have an exhibition this year which we can then build on next year (and future years). There's nothing to stop us exhibiting there and if we get interest elsewhere to take the exhibition on tour. Everyone seems very gloomy at the moment, cheer up! we do this for fun!
    "Apug Ireland on tour" I like the sound of that.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin