Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,089   Online: 1108

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would Airfield be a logical venue for us in Dublin? No canoe needed either :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    Would Airfield be a logical venue for us in Dublin? No canoe needed either :rolleyes:
    Sounds like a plan..

Are you sure we can't use the canoe though?

Síle
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Airfield? Already on the case, I contacted them a few days ago and I'm waiting for a reply.

Fintan, what about the Gallery of Photography?
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    From a publicity standpoint, I think you will draw more visitors to a known gallery than you will to a space that is less-known, although excellent from an exhibitors' perspective. These galleries are tied in to the media, they have their standard invitation lists, protocols, etc., whereas Airfield may not be as well equipped to provide those services -- even if it is a great space.

It's one thing to show and another thing to be seen!
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thats good advice as usual from you Michael, keep it coming.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have thought of a few questions, so please jump in everyone.

Obviously we need to find the galleries soon and find out how many prints they can hold.
    When we know that, we then need to know how many members are taking part to see how many prints they have to prepare.
    Should we produce same size prints?
    Should we all use same type frames?
    Anything else you can think of?

I have not done an exhibition before so please excuse the questions if they seem silly.

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How would a Yank of Irish descent (Harrigan...County Cork), who has visited the Emerald Isle recently participate?

Sounds like a fun show...I might be able to coerce the wife into returning. I have friends in Dublin that we stay with.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Yanks are welcome to join in, its the Canadians we're trying to avoid
    Sorry Catherine, I couldn't resist.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8700 series: BlackBerry8707/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

Quote Originally Posted by thefizz
    Airfield? Already on the case, I contacted them a few days ago and I'm waiting for a reply.

Fintan, what about the Gallery of Photography?
    I'm a member of the Gallery of Photography for years and go to nearly every exhibition. I would be doubtful we would be accepted there but I am not going to put you off trying.

I would have a preference for Airfield as it would certainly meet my goals for this showing, but it must be said others may have goals different to mine and hence a preference for a different venue.

At the end of the day, I'm happy to go along with you guys.
    Last edited by Fintan; 12-13-2007 at 12:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sile, feel free to chime in! Here's a thought on exhibition strategy:

SIRIUS -- I was involved with hanging one photo exhibit there and the space is WONDERFUL!! It's a gorgeous old building with beautiful wood floors, lots of light, very "airy," and right on the water with restaurants and shopping close by. The "Queenstown Museum" is also close at hand and a lovely hotel nearby as well. A year ago, the manager was an American lady who was an enthusiastic film photographer herself, but I do not have her contact info now. Should be easy enough to find her, though. I am confident she would be most receptive to discussing your ideas.

If you have Airfield (very doable, it seems, with Peter's and Fintan's connections) in Dublin, and Sirius in Cobh (or the Cork Museum, but they may have a longer booking advance time), you could reach two areas of the country, reach lots of young people (students who might convert to film!), and give all your members good excuses to get together on two different occasions. If you do the first exhibit in Cobh, they are well-wired for publicity so if you're lucky, you'll probably generate some mentions in at least one of the "Big Three" Irish papers, as well as smaller ones. "The Examiner," for sure, should give you some publicity, but you may make the Dublin papers as well. "Rebellion Against Digital" has a certain news appeal that might prick the interest of culture and art writers.

With that exhibition behind you, move to Dublin for the Airfield venue. With the publicity you will (hopefully!) have already generated from Cobh/Cork, it will be easier to garner attention in the Dublin area and you might even get Kodak or Ilford or Fuji to throw a little sponsorship money at you. Even 1000 Euros would be enough to make a nice pamphlet extolling the virtues of film, APUG, have some bios and info on the exhibitors, etc.

Incidentally, there is a company in Ireland (forget the name) that makes nice, wood frames for photos and they're not expensive. Not archival, of course, but they look nice and would be perfect for your exhibition. Seems to me they're in Cork, but can't remember for sure. They might be willing to donate frames for your exhibition (40 frames at 20 Euros each adds up!) in return for being a named sponsor and getting a little publicity out of it.

You might want to consider standardizing the size of the mats, but not necessarily the prints. It's much easier to do the framing if all the mats are the same size and it's cool to have different sized prints within consistently-sized mats and frames. It will also be a lot easier to get the framing company (a sponsor!) to donate off-the-shelf frames in mass-produced sizes. Something to think about . . . .

As for number of prints, you might want to do a quick tally of possible exhibitors to see how many there will be and then challenge everyone to do two or three (or whatever) prints so you can estimate a final number of prints. I know Sirius in its two gallery rooms can easily hang 40+ 16"x20" frames and assumedly Airfield could match or better that.

Oh to be in Ireland right now working with you guys on this!
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin