Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,284   Posts: 1,535,064   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Disposing Photo Chemicals in Ireland

I emailed Wicklow CoCo and I also left them a voice message, but no response... I wonder what is the recommendation on disposing developer, fixer, toners etc. in Ireland. I have a septic tank.

So far my quantities have been minimal so developer and fixer went in the drain. I decided to hold off any selenium toning until I figure this matter out.

Thanks,
    Rafal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would be a bit careful - personally I would not put fixer or selenium down a septic tank, possibly not any chemical. The advice I received was not to put bleach or biological washing powder down either (or ground coffee, or any sort of oil - cooking or otherwise). This is for my mother's septic tank out in the sticks, which needed maintaining more than necessary (very expensive!). If the 'good' bacteria gets killed, or there are blockages, then you're in trouble.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I'm definitely not draining any selenium into the septic system. I am not comfortable with fixer either... So where do I take it in Ireland? I doubt I can ebay that stuff... I guess I will try the Wicklow council for the third time - perhaps in person. With a brown bottle.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rafal View Post
    Thanks. I'm definitely not draining any selenium into the septic system. I am not comfortable with fixer either... So where do I take it in Ireland? I doubt I can ebay that stuff... I guess I will try the Wicklow council for the third time - perhaps in person. With a brown bottle.
    Exhausted fixer: see if any local photo labs will take this from you, they will usually have a process fro disposing of it safely. It typically goes into a machine that removes the silver and leaves a metal free effluent.
    If the council aren't too helpful try the local distributor for the product for recommendations for the other chemicals, they usually will take some responsibility for the entire lifecycle of what they sell at least by providing information, especially in a EC country with quite stringent EH&S regulations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried contacting either the Murrough recycling centre directly or Brays recycling centre on the Boghall road? They're fairly up to date and recycle everything down to the gas from lightbulbs.. it might be worth a phone call to either of them instead of WicklowCoCo?

Síle
    Síle

If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Here in the US some localities have "HazMat" drop-off places.

I concur on not putting chemicals into a septic. We have one at the house in Copake that I managed to screw up just with some fats and oils from a pork shoulder! Septic tanks are sensitive beasts!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Síle View Post
    Have you tried contacting either the Murrough recycling centre directly or Brays recycling centre on the Boghall road? They're fairly up to date and recycle everything down to the gas from lightbulbs.. it might be worth a phone call to either of them instead of WicklowCoCo?
    Rafal,

I'd certainly go with Síle's suggestion, it might be worth just calling into the Boghall road center as they can be hard to get on the phone. One other option is to contact the Bray Camera Club to see if they have any facilities, but I fear that they are very D*g*tal now.

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Multi Format

Disposing Photo Chemicals in Wicklow and Dublin Counties

Thanks Síle and everyone for suggestions. I have spoken to a lady at Wicklow Environmental Office in Murrough and she told me that the collection is done twice a year in Bray and altogether 8 times a year in Wicklow. 19th Jan and 18th October 2008 in Bray. A mobile unit comes for 3 hours each of those 8 days to a different Wicklow location. She has sent me a Word doc file with the schedule, which I attach here. She suggested I spoke to Dublin Waste and Ballyogan if I wanted to dispose at other times.

Dublin Waste said that I should hire a private contractor, but suggested that a small quantity might be accepted at Ballyogan and Ringsend centres.

Ballyogan have not returned my call.

Ringsend said that no one has ever brought photo chemicals to them before, but if I have a small quantity, like 1-2 litres, they will take it subject to the man on duty being happy. They requested not to mix any liquids and to label them. Apparently any container would do. They do not return containers, so I guess I will start collecting lots of plastic bottles.

I hope this helps anyone else who has a septic tank in Wicklow/Dublin areas. I have no idea what the recommendation is if you have regular sewage in the city. When I lived in London I was told by Ealing Council that I should put used developer and fixer in the household drain but not the selenium toner. I guess Ireland may be quite different on this issue.

Thanks and I hope that we can make it a little clearer...
    Rafal
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rafal Lukawiecki; 01-09-2008 at 10:33 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Schedule Received from Wicklow Environmental Office and Attached

Shooter
    35mm
    Rafal,

Thanks for all the information.

Ballyogan have not returned my call.
    That doesn't surprise me at all, somebody in my office has been calling them every week for the last 6-8 weeks and can't get an answer!

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

six month pickup schedule ideas

If you are willing, here are some ideas that I use - I live within a 15 minute drive from my free hazmat drop off centre, but with youing kids and a family, finding time to get there with their busness hours is the issue.

For spent developer- D76, HC-110, Xtol most paper developer etc. , I put it out in my garage on a high out of the way shelf in a stainless steel tray ( think cateferia warming table tray) until it is a blackened fraction of what it once was. It might freeze a few times along the way, oh well.

By the times I get around to it, again, anything that was an ozidizer has oxidized, so the high BOD, which means the demand for consuming oxygen that the little bugs in your septic need to survive is gone. I ph balance it with any stop bath I have around before I flush it dowen the toilet.

For fixer, I fixer test it so that I don't use more than I have to, and also go with 2 bath fixing when doing FB printing. This minimizes fixer consumption. I also evaporate it. It goes on a high cabinet on the back of my garage that faces south, and is under the eaves far enough that sun hits it but rain can't. I end up with a crust or sludge. - If it gets to crusty, I just wet it a bit to turn it back to a sludge and spatula it into an empty mayonaise jar, etc.

For spent things that I don't dry, like my C-41 bleach, RA-4 blix, pmk pyro based developers, etc. I store them in well labelled empty 2L plastic pop (soda) bottles. There never seems to be a shortage of them in my neighbourhood when I go 'shopping' for them on recycling bin put out day.

The C-41 bleach I use is actually a C-22 ferricyanide based bleach, and I replenish it with itself 45mL a roll so that 2L gets consumed after I process 22 rols of film, which takes me quite a while. It is quite black by then. The early overspill from replenishing the bleach I hold aside to mix up with almost spent fixer to do my b&w print print reduction partial bleaching with.

For colour printing RA-4 I run a roller processor that I replenish the developer and blix in, to the tune of 20mL an 8x10. witha slot processor you would do the sam thing. This generates a lot less wet waste than using solutions one shot in a jobo. It would not be possible unless I landed the roller in the great price deal that I did. I top off the developer solution, that I store in a glass jug, with nitrogen, so that it does not oxidize in the bottle. I also run the first bath of the roller as a water bath to remove most of the overcoating dye before the paper hits the developer. I think that the absense of the dye in the partially used developer helps it to last longer before it konks out. I can usually make it about 10-12 weeks before the colure developer and blix poop out this way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin