Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,275   Posts: 1,681,090   Online: 843

Shooter
    35mm

Film for Minolta 16

Hi,

I have an old Minolta-16 camera sitting in a desk drawer, which hasn't been used for years. Not sure if you will all remember the Minolta 16 it uses 16mm film in a cartridge and was a rival to the Minox, when people see it they think it's a spy camera. I think it's about 35-40 years old.

I'm thinking that as Les McLean is coming to us for a Street Photography workshop on St.Patrick's day, that it would be the ideal excuse for dusting off the Minolta-16 and running a roll through it while I with Les, it would be hard to get a less obtrusive camera.

But, here's my problem, can I get film for the Minolta 16, I have heard of people buying 16mm and reloading the cartridge but I really don't want to get into that and want to buy loaded cartridge(s).

Any ideas?

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't read it, but maybe this'll help: http://members.fortunecity.com/miniv...min16film.html
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is defiantly available from somewhere as i have had the stuff come through my lab in australia on the odd occasion, as for where its available I'm sorry Im not sure at this time, when i next see it I will find out for you. Oddly I should mention it has only ever been E-6 film ive processed.

~steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I doubt you'll find a source for loaded cassettes. Here is one source for bulk film, though US based: http://www.subclub.org/sponsors/goathil2.htm

You can also use 16mm movie film and even (with somewhat specialized developing) 16mm microfilm.

Loading your own cassettes is pretty easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    if you don't mind shipping from the states
    you can probably still get some through http://www.prepfilm.com/
    when i used my 8mm i would buy from him ...

good luck!

john

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Minolta film

I just purchased brand new film for the same camera. It is still available in preloaded cassettes on E-Bay, under Submini,disc,110 category. I can vouch for the quality. It costs about $7 per cassette. Good luck
    Donn

I have an old Minolta-16 camera sitting in a desk drawer, which hasn't been used for years. Not sure if you will all remember the Minolta 16 it uses 16mm film in a cartridge and was a rival to the Minox, when people see it they think it's a spy camera. I think it's about 35-40 years old.

I'm thinking that as Les McLean is coming to us for a Street Photography workshop on St.Patrick's day, that it would be the ideal excuse for dusting off the Minolta-16 and running a roll through it while I with Les, it would be hard to get a less obtrusive camera.

But, here's my problem, can I get film for the Minolta 16, I have heard of people buying 16mm and reloading the cartridge but I really don't want to get into that and want to buy loaded cartridge(s).

Any ideas?

David[/QUOTE]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Loading the cartridges is a breeze for Minolta-16. And since the cartridges themselves are almost as scarce as hen's teeth throwing them away is a strict no-no.
    I use a piece of string with the same lenght as the film-strip and just cut off a lenght of film that matches the string, tapes the leade on to the reel in the casette and plops the rest (neatly rolled up) into the other side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome cameras. I found a 100ft rool of Single Perf NEGATIVE 16mm HP-5 and will use that until it is gone. From what I can tell, they discontinued that film.

Many years ago I used REVERSAL 16mm film. I was still able to make good prints by developing it as a negative, but not ideal.

Which camera do you have. You probably already know the early ones had a small frame, just a little bigger than Minox, because it avoided the double row of perforations. The later cameras had a much bigger frame, but you need the "Super-16" or "Single Perforation" film to take advantage of it.

I used to cut 16mm strips of T-max, but stopped once I got the 16mm HP-5.

You probably also know that if you take the film out of 'Kodak pocket instimatic' canisters, it was pre-printed with frame edges by our friends in yellow.

I use Prep Film for movie reversal processing, but don't recall them selling film. I have obtained Movie film from International Film. On last visit it looks like he just has Reversal film with double perforations which would not be ideal.
    http://members.aol.com/Super8mm/JohnSchwind.html

Anyway, save those plastic film holders!

For processing, the Jobo 16mm reels work great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw some 16mm color neg film on ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:BCA:US:1123

If this stuff is C41 process that might make an ideal stash for one of you.
    Gary Beasley

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin