Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,238   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Exhibition opening - Cork Analogue Photographers

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know about an exhibition by Cork Analogue Photographers at Brew Cafe on Paul Street in Cork. The exhibition opens on Friday next, September 19th, at 6.30pm. Officially this is by invite only, at the request of the cafe owners. If you are in the area however, pop your head in and say hello.

Our photos will then be displayed until October 18th. So please do pop into the cafe and take a look. This is the first public exhibition by our new group, so we are both nervous and excited at this stage! All photos in the exhibition have been taken, processed and printed by hand by the photographer - hooray!

Rory

http://corkap.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Best of luck Rory I hope this will be the first of many.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey Rory, will try and come along. Any room for another member in your group?

Mel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Your site looks great, well done Rory, hope the exhibition is a great success.

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i really like the fish shots on the site.good luck with the show.

peter e

Shooter
    35mm

Opening night

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments and encouragement! Our exhibition opened on Sunday night just gone, Sept 19th.

We were particularly delighted that the exhibition was opened by Harry Moore, pinhole photographer of note, and the very warm, informative and encouraging speech that he made. See http://www.harrymoore.net/exhibitions.htm for examples of Harry's work.

Some photos of the opening are now posted on our website - http://corkap.blogspot.com/

The show will run until Oct 18th at Brew Cafe, which is on Paul St. in Cork - near the back of Waterstones. The cafe is lovely, so if you are living in or visiting Cork, drop in for a coffee and a look.

Mel, cheers for asking about membership. At the moment we are very small and new, and the group has been set up after we all met at a night course in the Crawford. So no plans to extend membership at the moment - but it is something we have discussed. In the meantime, as you just live down the road, we must hook up for a pint!!

Rory

PS best of look to all of you exhibiting in Dublin this week

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well done Rory, the pics from your opening look great.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What is it about Cork photographers and their elitist attitude within their photo groups? Since I started in photography over 30 years ago the one thing I always heard was how membership of photo groups within Cork was by invitation only.
    In an age when analog photography is being swept aside in the rush to embrace digital, surely everyone who uses a film camera must be offered a safe haven among like minded people.
    Never the less good luck with your exhibition.

TEX
    Last edited by Vincent Brady; 09-22-2008 at 09:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Tex,

I've never been in a photo group before in my life, so cannot say anything about elitist attitudes in Cork!

The truth of the matter is that we set up this group in May '08, and we really are taking it one step at a time. The first step was to hold an exhibition, and this happened far quicker than we expected. We are delighted with the response we got to the exhibition, which will now run for a month.

So now as a group we are four months old and the original 8 members are in place. We have opened an exhibition, and have to decide what we want to do next. This group may keep going, or it may fizzle out. I'm hoping, and expecting, that we will keep going. If so, we will at some stage in the future accept new members. In the mean time, we are more than happy to meet anyone who wants to meet us, go for a pint, talk photography, discuss ideas, and see what's around the corner next. It's all one big exciting learning curve.

Incidently this "elitist" Cork photography group of 8 has a member from Galway, another from Waterford, one from Wicklow, two from Cork, one from Latvia and one from Kilkenny (um, I think - Jim?). Meself, I'm a Dub. We all live down here though!

Cheers for the good luck, and best of luck also to everyone exhibiting in APUG Ireland's exhibition this week

Rory

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Rory,
    Thank you for a prompt reply to my post. Unfortunately you have done little to assure me that your group is not elitist. Your invitation to meet for a pint and discuss photography sounds more like an interview than a meeting of like minded people. In order to survive your group needs to grow and because analog photographers are now in the minority everyone of them should be sought out and encouraged to join. I should at this stage make clear that I do not know or have ever met Mel.

Cheers
    Vincent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin