Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,840   Online: 955

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Alas Poor Rodinal Special

After trying every camera shop in Dublin is seems that my much beloved Rodinal Special is no longer available or being manufactured -
    Simplicius

"defying gravity since 1898"

My Flickr Account

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agfa Studional, I believe is the same as Rodinal Special. Last time I looked (last week) Studional was still available at Silverprint.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Silverprint sells all three i.e Rodinal, Rodinal Special and Studional. It isn't entirely clear to me what the difference is between Special and Studional except that the latter is said to be concentrated fine grain developer for deep tanks but can be used at higher diutions for one shot use.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Rodinal Special and Studional are exactly the same as each other.

Shooter
    35mm
    I hope the OP doesn't mind me asking this question as I think the answer might be of general interest. It is certainly true that my Agfa film cassette packet quotes exactly the same dev time for both products. So is Studional merely a more highly concentrated solution and suitable for deep tanks simply because deep tanks require more solution which is easier packaged in a more concentrated form?

I wonder why Agfa and now the new company producing these developers still bother with two names and why Martin Reed at Silverprint doesn't simply stock the more concentrated of the two, namely Studional and then he could simply say that it can be used for small/daylight tanks as well as for deep tanks at different proportions?

Is having two names and two liquids simply an Agfa "marketing gimmick" which has been carried on for no better reason than to keep up the tradition?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The company which distributes the Agfa products in Ireland are no longer importing them. You will have to get them online now. I get my Rodinal and Rodinal Special from www.macodirect.de

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz View Post
    The company which distributes the Agfa products in Ireland are no longer importing them. You will have to get them online now. I get my Rodinal and Rodinal Special from www.macodirect.de

Peter
    Thanks for that Peter. Another supplier website now added to my "bookmarks" Looking at the info on Special, it seems to say that Special and Studional are one and the same but Studional is the more economical buy if you need large quantities which is what Silverprint seemed to be saying somewhat indirectly and others have said.

Still leaves the question of how two names arose for essentially the same product. A bit like calling 1 litre of ID11 by one name and the 5 litre pack by another. We'd think Harman/Ilford crazy if they did that but there may be some perfectly normal explanation as to how it arose in Agfa's case.

Just curious as to how it came about. Anyone know or is it like the " Marie Celeste" of Agfa, that is a strange situation for which it is now impossible to provide an explanation because the explanation is lost in the mists of time?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Thanks for that Peter. Another supplier website now added to my "bookmarks" Looking at the info on Special, it seems to say that Special and Studional are one and the same but Studional is the more economical buy if you need large quantities.
    pentaxuser
    Thats how I understand it. Rodinal Special does not last any where as long as ordinary Rodinal so I only ever buy it in the small bottles. It was good to meet you on Friday by the way.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Shooter
    35mm Pan

Rodinal special

Hi all, Asfar as i've heard, in order for us to bring in Rodinal Special, it would be three times the price. Which makes it quite uneconomical.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's a shame Fiona. Rodinal Special is one of my favourites. Thanks for letting us know.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin