Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,432   Online: 914

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The late Bob Carlos Clarke a fine Irish photographer, I was fortunate to meet him a couple of times.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Giles Norman? A bit touristy I know, but some good stuff in amongst it all I reckon:
    http://www.gilesnorman.com/biography.html

Cheers,
    Gavin

PS- am a bit ignorant ignorant of Irish photographers and am enjoying this thread. Good Bourke link here
    http://www.galleryofphotography.ie/e...ns/bourke.html
    Last edited by coigach; 12-30-2008 at 08:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nude Playwright!

George Bernard Shaw was a wonderful writer but also a very keen amatuer photographer. Bill Jay edited a book on his writings on photography which is worth looking out for. He was very keen on nude self portaits! GBS was way ahead of his times.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miskuss View Post
    Not sure if Jill Freedman is Irish but she published a magical book named "A Time That Was" If you find this out of print book I'm sure you'll enjoy it. URL is...

http://www.jillfreedman.com/
    Thanks for this link, this lady has done a lot of work on Ireland. I had not heard about her work, from what I have found on the net she sounds very interesting . I have found the book you recommend and ordered it.

Michael mentioned
    "Alan MacWeeney (who I blieve is Dublin-born) is one of my faves, especially his work on Travellers/"Tinkers". This project resulted in one of his better-known books."

This book is called "Irish Travellers" and has some of the best Irish Photography I have seen. Book is a real quality production. I have seen it in Hodges Dawson St

Donovan Wylie is another favourite, he should be on the Magnum site. Watchtowers and The Maze are his most recent books.

Bill Doyle was mentioned earlier, a lot of his work was for the Irish Tourist Board and a lot of the images look staged aand commercial in the tourist sense. Veritas did produce a book of colour photographs called Island Funeral which I would recommend.

Chris Killip will have a new book out next year about Ireland. I dont know whats going to be in it but he has done a lot of work on Croagh Patrick in recent years.

And finally Under the "granny rule" we could claim Michael Kenna as his parents were Irish.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the names and links all I appreciate it. Should keep me busy for a while searching around the web for the names you gave me. Will go into Hodges on Dawson St tomorrow and pick up the book "Irish Travellers" if its there as I was told about it before so should pick it up

Thanks again all much appreciated
    Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How about Phil Pankov?

Although strictly speaking, I believe he's originally from Moscow, but in Dublin now.

Plus I think he's on APUG as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mahler View Post
    How about Phil Pankov?

Although strictly speaking, I believe he's originally from Moscow, but in Dublin now.

Plus I think he's on APUG as well.
    Phil has departed Ireland to try his luck in the US. We in the DCC will miss his talent and his charm.

Cheers
    TEX

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by monosnaps View Post

Chris Killip will have a new book out next year about Ireland. I dont know whats going to be in it but he has done a lot of work on Croagh Patrick in recent years.
    I stuck a few quid down on one of his prints in the Gallery Of Photography raffle a few weeks ago. It was really nice. Didn't win it though

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Brain McIlvenny, not Irish but living here many years with some fine Lith prints from Ireland and abroad.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Currently working I will go with Simon Burch, Mike O'Toole, and Mike Bunn. Yes the are working commercial photographers but there personal work is incredible. They are completely off the radar because they don't exhibit or publish but they are Wonderful. I also have to say I think Robert Ballagh is VERY underrated as a photographer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin