Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,874   Posts: 1,520,170   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Renting a MF camera

Hi,

errrrrrrrrrr...
    I am actually based in Coleraine, at the North...
    donno if anyone based around here

I am interested in getting into MF
    but still struggling which brand to go into

and other members always suggest to rent one before buying
    so... where can i rent a camera here

thanks very much for your help

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was similar at the start of last year. Didn't bother renting a camera though. Just bought a cheap Bronica SQA with an 80mm and 50mm lens to try out MF photography

The camera didn't break the bank and I could have sold it later for near the same money. A year later and I am really enjoying MF photography so have decided to invest in MF now (have bought two other MF cameras in the last 2 months so be careful it can be addictive getting into this:-))

Up to you at the end of the day but I would recommend just getting your self a cheap Bronica or TLR or something to give it a go. Renting costs money and you only have the camera for a few days which I think means you don't get a proper feel for MF Photography

Best of luck
    M

Shooter
    35mm
    I know it addictive and I admit I do have GAS!!!... sigh...

i actually own a seagull, but the shutter doesn't fire anymore... that's why i have to look into another one.
    i think i will dissect it when i have time... it is a brick now, anyway

and i am targeting the SQ-A at the moment, but still want to try the rb67
    as i want to see if i can hand hold it

thanks for sharing your experience :P

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are mamiya 645 cameras available for great prices on ebay. I recommend one of these.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you could buy a pentax 645 for less than it costs to rent a camera. the lenses are great, the camera takes pretty good pictures, so if you can live with the quirks of the camera, it can be had for a song on KEH
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are down my way any time, let me know and you can put a few rolls through my RZ67 and Mamiya 7 Rangfinder, to get a feel for them.

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The only issue with the pentax, which was my main camera for about a decade, is the backs are not interchangeable. So you dont have the option of shooting different stock should circumstances make it preferable. 6x7s are fantasic also. I shoot a lot with pentax 67, this again doesnt have interchangeable backs so
    a mamiya 67 is probably a better bet.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thefizz View Post
    If you are down my way any time, let me know and you can put a few rolls through my RZ67 and Mamiya 7 Rangfinder, to get a feel for them.

Peter
    Thanks very much!!!
    I will if I go to Dublin
    not a few rolls, even if i have only a chance to hold it
    i will be appreciated

i have considered about 645... but i think it's not really a big jump from 35mm to 645, so if i want rectangle, i will go for 6x7

and unlike the GS-1, the rotating back seem to be very handy for portrait (which i very rarely do :rolleyes, but it's still nice to have...

i know there are good deal on KEH... but when i think about the import charges... sigh...

i think i will stick to ebay, please keep your finger cross for my hunt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you going with a 6x7 be aware that its not ideal for documentary work the depth of field is very,very different to 35mm. Consider what your subject matter is likely to be before you commit, and there is a significant difference between 35mm and 645.
    p

Shooter
    35mm
    :o

would there be more depth of field? or more shallow?

i would say i do landscape most, then still live, then maybe macro, very rarely portrait, but i would like to try more portrait now... that's why i didn't go for a folder or a TLR
    'cos they closed my option on macro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin