Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,329   Online: 1164

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Ireland trip 29th May-17th. June 09

Hi
    My name is Tony and I live on the Isle Of Man, I am taking a holiday in Ireland during the dates shown, I am particularly interested in black & white landscape photography and would welcome any advise re. any interesting locations on the West coast (Donegal to Galway) also any exhibitions or camera fairs or good hunting grounds for collectible photo equipment, any help would be much appreciated

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tony, I will give you the bad news first, Ireland is not a great hunting ground for photographic equipment the market is quite small and a lot of the film photographers would buy in the UK.
    The west coast from Galway to Donegal is perfect for landscapes and seascapes. You might also include Clare which is a little south of Galway as it includes The Burren a limestone landscape full of photo opportunities especially this month if you would like to take some wild flower photographs. Working your way up the coast some places worth visiting are:- Burren, Achill Island and the Mayo coastline, Maam Cross, Salthill, Doo Lough, Aran Islands. A few images from these places are on my Blog http://eddiemallin.my-expressions.co...89401042/67193 I have done very little in Sligo and Donegal but I have seen some really rugged landscape images from Donegal.
    Make sure you bring a good supply of film as the west coast would have very few shops that supply film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ring of kerry, and connemara are really great spots. happy shooting tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    it is all interesting, wherever you pull over... coastline, not to mention the islands are just stunning...take loads of film- it's available but pricy...good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Make sure you hire a car when you get over here, public transport dosn't always suit a photographers needs

If you could get down to the Burren in the south west, there's some fantastic spots there. Most of the coast is great. Pop over to the Islands if you're in Galway. Donegal is a fantastic spot, if I were you, I'd head straight up the Inishowen peninsula, there's a great fort up there, along with plenty of barely discovered spots. A trip over to Derry would be worthwhile too.

As mentioned, plenty of film. If you're flying in to Dublin, check out Gunn's camera shop, they'll have a good stock of film, if you want to avoid the dreaded x-rays. Also, if you'll be in Dublin, while not nessicarily photographic, there's plenty of exhibitions around which could be worth checking out, the Irish Museum of Modern Art being one of the bigger ones, and there's the Gallery of Photography in Temple Bar.

Enjoy yourself

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Another vote for the Burren and some good mining landscapes right down in the south west at Allihies. Apart from plenty of film, don't miss the opportunity to fill up with petrol if you're getting low. I spent an evening coasting down all the roads I could on the Burren/Galway Bay with the needle nudging "Empty" and the prospect of a long walk!

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How did you get on, any good photographs to show for your trip.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin