Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,910   Online: 884

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

What have I done?

Hi guys,

Haven't been around in a looong time, life, work etc.

I'm having sellers/advertisers remorse. I have a Mamiya m645j with a 80mm and a 45mm Sekor C lens, which has been sitting unused for about 8 months now. I had planned on setting up a darkroom and getting an enlarger which would handle the MF negs, but realise that's a pipe dream. Considering I have had a 35mm enlarger (and rest of kit) sitting in my attic for 10 years and haven't been able to get that set up I know I'm not going to follow through with the MF kit.

So I just put the Mamiya and lenses up for sale on adverts.ie and now just a few hours later I'm beginning to regret the move. I know it's the right decision, it will provide some funds should I want to get 35mm kit, still it's sad day

My Father had been encouraging me to sell his old Minolta SR1 and XD11 with a mix of minolta/rokkor lenses, but I just can't bring myself to part with them. The SR1 is probably 40 years old and in great nic, the XD11 looks like it just came out of the box (me and my Dad tend to look after our kit), I even have the original manuals for the XD11. It may be time to dust off the MF kit and get shooting, then of course there's my 500si and 800si - too many cameras (did I really say that :o) and too little time.

Hope to catch up with the APUG folks soon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    You might just keep that Mamiya...it probably won't fetch much on the used market, and as they say, "It might be cheaper to keep it." It's not hurting anything just being around, is it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom has a good point. Heck, if you do not use it, it can become a paperweight or a book end.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Theres another way to look at it - at the moment its lying idle and being wasted! it has feelings you know! You are better to sell it and let it have a new lease of life - think of the new places it could be taken to - the love and care that will be showered upon it . A part from old cameras I've rescued many a valve radio which was lying unloved and paint splatter covered in a shed . How happy they must be cleaned up and playing daily and being admired by visitors . Just a thought.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If I were you I wouldn┤t sell it, especially the Minoltas. I doubt that the money they will bring would be as nearly as high as the value they have for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Hugh. after all, one mans castoff is another mans treasure. If you arent going to use, allow someone else to.
    Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't sell them and if you do you might regret it!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    The Minoltas are being kept, aside for being nice cameras, there is a huge amount of sentimental value attached to them. The SR1 was the first "real" film camera I used, it officially belongs to my Father but I have been the caretaker for years now.

As far as the Mamiya is concerned, I guess I'm thinking like Hugh and Rick - it's a nice camera, good lenses and it's not being used. It deserves to be used.
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Shooter
    35mm
    yeah, I had remorse selling my 'blad, (and other camera gear when it went idle) only to buy another and a mamiya 645 AF (which ended up being stolen a month after I got it) too boot. Keep it, bring it with you when you go someplace. Make yourself use it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I know money is a factor here, but if you need to declutter your camera setup, there's nothing better than giving cameras to your friends. I've done this quite a few times and I have no regrets. I know the cameras are being used more than I could ever use them, and I don't feel like a whore for selling them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin