Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,354   Online: 851

Shooter
    Holga

E6 Development in Dublin

Hi,

I am new to medium format film and recently got a Holga 120WPC for the sole reason of 6x12 wide frames. After i used my first roll i realized (more like shocked to found out) that there's only one lab in dublin (Photocare on Abbey street) that handles E6 type films.

My question is, where can i print/scan the film since no one (including photocare) seem to have the facility to either print or scan the 6x12 frames.

or should i post a question in online forum to find an online shop that could do? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could try Photolabs on Lennox street, they used to scan and print my slides for me a few years ago. Think they still do this, quality was excellent. http://www.photolabs.ie/Contact_Us_Page.HTML

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try 360-dpi.com out in Dun Laoighaire, they can scan and print

Shooter
    Holga
    Thanks Guys -- checked with photolabs and they can scan it but.... for €6.50 per frame!!! that's insane!

I have decided to get Epson v500 instead, which is £189 (inc. delivery) from amazon.co.uk and can scan the 6x12 slides and negatives, just checked the results and i think its the way forward.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes insane maybe but the quality would be superior to what you will get from the V500. Think they use dedicated film scanners not flatbed scanners...

I have the Epson V700 and the quality of the prints I have done from E6 scans dont come close to the prints I got from photolabs to be honest.

If you want to print from scanned colour film on a flatbed scanner I would recommend shooting colour negative film. Slide film doesn't seem to scan as well as modern negative film on a flatbed I have found...

M

Shooter
    Holga
    Quote Originally Posted by martinhughesireland View Post
    Yes insane maybe but the quality would be superior to what you will get from the V500. Think they use dedicated film scanners not flatbed scanners...

I have the Epson V700 and the quality of the prints I have done from E6 scans dont come close to the prints I got from photolabs to be honest.

If you want to print from scanned colour film on a flatbed scanner I would recommend shooting colour negative film. Slide film doesn't seem to scan as well as modern negative film on a flatbed I have found...

M
    Thanks Marin for the heads up regarding the color negatives. i totally agree with you that photolabs must have dedicated scanners and not the flatbed. :-) -- since i am starting with holga and am in learning phase with film so i am willing to sacrifice the lab-quality to save time and money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If the 6.50 per frame is for a drum scan , it would be cheap ! If it is for an Imacon scan , it would be about right .
    You only get such a scan done for your best shots for exhibtion etc .

And it does take operator time to set your scan up in drum or imacon , an operator being paid probably 16 - 18 Euro an hour by LSL Photolab .

That's why it's so expensive .

I scan my own medium format negatives via Canon 8800F scannner and the quality is excellent , and it's fast on that Canon too , the 8800F is cheaper than the Epsons , every bit as good .

But as a professional lab I can't recommend LSL Photolabs enough , they are simply the best in Ireland .

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin