Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,213   Posts: 1,532,107   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Questions and Answers

Arising from our print showing on Sat. 13th it occurred to me that several people would like to know where a fellow photographer obtained mounting board or what paper or film was used. So how about a tread where a member can ask a question on some aspect of photography and receive answers from other members. The questions would need to be basic such as 'where did you.......?' or what did you .......? '

To start it off, I would like to ask Martin where did he obtain the wrapping paper for his small prints?

Vincent

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Vincent: I get the plastic covers from Framing Fantastic in Antrim. Shane posts them down to me. Postage is around 8 GBP but I would normally order mounts also to make the postage worth it.

Click on this link http://www.shop.framingfantastic.co.uk/ and then go to "Catalogue overview > Mounts, Backs & Bags > Clear Polypropylene Bags"

The bags are in different sizes, If I cant get a bag the exact size of the mount I buy the next size up and fold the bag over the back of the mount board and tape it... Another option is to buy a role of polypropylene and cut it to size, cover the front of your print and just tape it down at the back....

I find them great, cheap as chips and they keep the prints and mounts spotless. They give the prints a nice shine also, almost as if they are behind glass...

M
    Last edited by martinhughesireland; 11-14-2010 at 05:43 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great idea this Vincent,
    During the print showing there was a lot of talk about a particular paper, it may of been Peter who was using it and I forgot to ask about it afterwards, anyone any ideas what I'm onabout here, it may of been from East Europe.

Paul
    A painter interprets an image, a film photographer captures an image and a digital photographer creates an image.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Paul,

I use a lot of Fomatone paper for my lith printing, usually code 132 & 532 which are both mat finishes.

For the B&W portrait of the baby I used Adox MCC110 which I liked very much.

Was it either of those you were referring to?
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd like to ask Eddie about the Wicklow supplier of conservation mount board. I believe it was a place called Glenwood, but I have not managed to locate them yet.

In general, I am looking for a more local (than UK) supplier of mounting board (museum/conservation), interleaving paper, and those plastic wrappers you guys use. I suppose I will have to continue sourcing the dry mounting adhesive sheets from abroad (Silverprint at present, but though I had liked them for years they are getting more and more complex to work with...)

Thanks,
    Rafal
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Peter I'd say it was the Adox paper, think I've seen it on the Silver Print site, thanks for that, Paul
    A painter interprets an image, a film photographer captures an image and a digital photographer creates an image.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rafal

The company that do the mounting board is http://www.glenwoodmouldings.ie/index.php?sel=5 They will have the rolls of dry mounting tissue. Just give them a ring for an exact location. Their prices are excellent.

My print inserts are from Silverprint.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paulgallinule View Post
    Hi Peter I'd say it was the Adox paper, think I've seen it on the Silver Print site, thanks for that, Paul
    Macodirect are cheaper than Silverprint for Adox MCC... see link below

http://www.macodirect.de/adox-adox-g...7_588_634.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for that Martin, I've used macodirect before and have found them easy to deal with so might have a look at some paper in the new year, Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another question for Martin.

I was always impressed by your 5x4 pinhole pics on the internet but seeing them in reality printed up has really given me the impetus to get those two cameras out that I built recently.

Peter has managed to source a handful of filmholders for me (thanks Peter) which I will have in a few weeks so all I need to do is get the film from Gunn's.

Now, my question. The first camera I intend to use has a focal length of 45mm on 5x4. The pinhole is 0.3mm in diameter so by simple calculation my fstop should be f150. Do you know of a conversion chart that would help me to calculate the correct exposure when I take my light readings (I'll be using a Sekonic meter) and how they transfer across for f150?

Eddie was saying that Fuji Acros is unaffected by reciprocity so I will likely go for that or do you think that Ilford or Foma is better?

I'd appreciate any advice you might have for me Martin.

Thanks,
    George.
    Last edited by seoirse; 11-16-2010 at 04:01 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: can't type for nuts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin