Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,937   Online: 1176

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're a bit too hard with yourself. And your mother may just be a bit overbearing in her Headmistress-like commentary. All due respect to her experience and eye, but individuals are very much entitled to evolve their own specific styles, interpretations and compositions — including you. The works look like studies using alternative processes? The middle pic to my eyes is perfect — it's something the eye lands on comfortably the first time it comes into view. I cannot determine what I am looking at from the left and right side pics.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Garden Party

- Artist: Rick Nelson
    - peak Billboard position # 6 in 1972
    - inspired by Rick's experience at a Madison Square Garden concert
    - Words and Music by Rick Nelson

I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends
    A chance to share old memories and play our songs again
    When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name
    No one recognized me, I didn't look the same

CHORUS
    But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
    You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself <==== look right here!

Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Why do you care what your mother thinks of your work, or for that matter any of us. The freedom of the artist lies within you and no one else. You are the one to decide what is right for you and what isn't. To Hell with other people's opinion, its your work, make it the way you want it to be and YOU be the sole judge of it. The one and only person whose opinion should matter is YOU and no one else.

Images
    The good thing is her comments made you THINK about your photography. That is important. Some times tis is necessary lest we stagnate. Next time she comments thank her for her opinion, explain you have given it a lot of thought, and you feel you are doing just fine. Which you are. Now if mom was say Imogen Cunningham or Dorthea Lang I might give her words a bit more thought.

My dad does this on occasion. What burns my hide is he is often right when he makes the comments.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now if mom was say Imogen Cunningham or Dorthea Lang I might give her words a bit more thought.

My dad does this on occasion. What burns my hide is he is often right when he makes the comments.
    Since my dad was the family photographer all my childhood, I wish it was he commenting. And, yes, if she was anyone with a history in photography, I wouldn't even have asked here; just put my cameras away and bought a hammer or something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think everyone is being too hard on your mom. It's tough to get more than a "nice photo" or "great" out of your parents (sometimes even friends). If your mom is really telling you what she thinks, value that and take it into consideration.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Since my dad was the family photographer all my childhood, I wish it was he commenting. And, yes, if she was anyone with a history in photography, I wouldn't even have asked here; just put my cameras away and bought a hammer or something.
    You have a nice portfolio , and a nice family (including your mom) who cared and looked through your fotos. That is what it matters.
    ~Ben

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin