Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,087   Online: 1018

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    Aesthetics don't totally change because technology has changed. It is a nice opportunity to try out a new language, but you can't fault someone for shooting the analog way on digital.
    Your advice is sound, JeRuFo, no one should be faulted for using analogue approaches in digital. No one should be faulted for any style of their photography and their artistic expression, though critique should be always welcome. My earlier comments were not meant as an admonition, merely a criticism, and I apologise if my words seemed otherwise.

What I feel, however, is that digital has not stood, yet, fully on its own feet, at least judging by the work I have been exposed to, with a few exceptions. I would like to see what digital can offer in terms of its own language, very much. I am sure there are amazing and unique expressions still to be discovered, and that we have not seen even the beginning of it, yet. Also, I applaud if someone uses analogue metaphors in the digital world, for a purpose, especially if it is cohesive with their work. Most of the time, however, I see analogue-stylization in digital fulfil no clear purpose other than mimicry of something familiar and accepted. Perhaps, that is the purpose. On the other hand, I suppose that is a natural stage, a temporary phase in the separation of the two media.

It is a very exciting time to be involved in photography, a craft on the cusp of a major change in its artistic function.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whowantstoast View Post
    Also, Ansel seemed like a "manifesto" kind of guy, a product of his time. Everyone was writing manifestos about everything back then.
    Ansel Adams wanted to become a man of value, and he did.
    The majority of present day photographers knows the price of many things and the value of none.

Who is "a product of his time" as You wrote, is pretty obvious.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    They'd have to get rid of photoshop since it's right chock-a-block fulla analog things, like curves, masks, layers, guides, dodge/burn, separations, tints. Instagram would have to go because of vulgar emulation of analog errors. I don't think digital is like photography; it is photography.
    Photoshop would be an important part of it, a group which strove for the highest qualities would use actions to create repeatable results. They'd use lens effects, not to re-create a lantern slide projector lens, but to completely eliminate distortion...

I'll have to mull over whether digital is photography. On the surface, I don't think so. But you are probably right.

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem with the theory put forth by this thread, is that 'digital' is not a medium. Thus, it can't 'stand on its own' or 'not emulate other media'...there is nothing that it can do BUT emulate [other] media, since it is not, itself, a medium.

I don't have a problem with what is commonly called 'digital photography'. I just think that it is a form of digital art, and whether its done with a camera or photoshop or a wacom tablet or a 3D scanner is just detail.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    ...you have to take advantage of the possibilities ... I don't think they should totally start over on their own.

...I like to think that analog photography has progressed ... in the direction photographers wanted it to go in the last century....

...you can't fault someone for shooting the analog way on digital.
    JeRuFo,

You cover a lot in few sentences...

Only the last point, I don't mean to fault someone for wanting to emulate analog with digital... I just mean they should be excluded from membership in the movement...

There could be a separate movement for the mirror image of the old pictorialists, the digital photographers who want to create simulated analog prints. And they can be encouraged to do a good job. In a sense, their work is a form of... printing (reproduction). Their manifesto could be a sort of "democratization of the press". No longer is printing limited to presses that weigh several tons. An inkjet can do it. Or no print, just monitor.
    Last edited by Bill Burk; 12-02-2012 at 10:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    The problem with the theory put forth by this thread, is that 'digital' is not a medium.
    It's not? That's a revolutionary thought.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oil, acrylic, watercolor, goauche and tempera are all considered painting. They all involve putting paint on a substrate. Photography is the act of recording light via a light sensitive material; therefore, digital is photography alongside several other techniques of photography.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm interested to understand what follows (in the logical sense) from statements like "digital photography isn't (real) photography"

If "true" (or "false") then what are the significant consequences for the World?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    Oil, acrylic, watercolor, goauche and tempera are all considered painting. They all involve putting paint on a substrate. Photography is the act of recording light via a light sensitive material; therefore, digital is photography alongside several other techniques of photography.
    Digital and analog photography become separated from each other after the light has been recorded... they differ in how you accomplish the printing or display.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Digital and analog photography become separated from each other after the light has been recorded... they differ in how you accomplish the printing or display.
    But the same is true of gum bichromate, cyanotype and photogravure in comparison to silver gelatin methods.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin