Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,459   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    nice answer John.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Really nice reply John Voss. Thank you.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

What makes a fine-art photograph?

This thread already exists

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum48/111862-what-makes-fine-art-photography-fine-art.html

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

What makes a fine-art photograph?

Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Fine art photographs are those that have no other purpose than to be themselves. They are not of weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, events, news stories, real estate where the intent is to represent the property for sale, travels, or other things that need to have an image made for a reason. That said, fine art images can be about any of those things but just not for a purpose. The field is so wide open and amorphous that it might as well be thought of as indefinable in terms of what a fine art photograph 'should' or 'does' look like. Interesting anyone other than yourself in what you've pictured, however, is also as mysterious as whatever the 'fine art' photograph is. Photograph whatever interests you, and do it well. Let someone else decide for himself what it is beyond that.
    By this statement it sounds like I'm a fine art photographer

Check out my gallery and let me knew haha

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Fine art photographs are those that have no other purpose than to be themselves. They are not of weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, events, news stories, real estate where the intent is to represent the property for sale, travels, or other things that need to have an image made for a reason. That said, fine art images can be about any of those things but just not for a purpose. The field is so wide open and amorphous that it might as well be thought of as indefinable in terms of what a fine art photograph 'should' or 'does' look like. Interesting anyone other than yourself in what you've pictured, however, is also as mysterious as whatever the 'fine art' photograph is. Photograph whatever interests you, and do it well. Let someone else decide for himself what it is beyond that.
    There's also a lot of crossover in those genres (perhaps not real estate or wedding photos) though- look at Weegee as a prime example. His work now sells in galleries and is exhibited in museums. Same with Robert Capa. Now I doubt I'd want to hang a four-foot copy of one of the D-Day landing photos on my dining room wall, but I could see having an 8x10 print in an office somewhere. The thing I most often think of when someone says "fine art photography" is they're trying to distinguish their female nudes from cheesecake/boudoir/Playboy photography. Which is widely open to self-definition. One man's 'fine art' is another man's monkey-spanker.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's easy, you just grow a Van Dyke beard and refer to yourself as an artist
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    How big is a rock? How much does a car cost? How beautiful is my love?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    There's also a lot of crossover in those genres (perhaps not real estate or wedding photos) though- look at Weegee as a prime example. His work now sells in galleries and is exhibited in museums. Same with Robert Capa. Now I doubt I'd want to hang a four-foot copy of one of the D-Day landing photos on my dining room wall, but I could see having an 8x10 print in an office somewhere. The thing I most often think of when someone says "fine art photography" is they're trying to distinguish their female nudes from cheesecake/boudoir/Playboy photography. Which is widely open to self-definition. One man's 'fine art' is another man's monkey-spanker.
    Yes that's what I often call my nudes to distinguish them from lame crappy nudes, and I also described them in post #22 of the above link to the other thread about fine art if anyone's curious,

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDK View Post
    If some of you are working with fine-art photography, what is your advice for those who want to get started in what I think is an artistically rewarding area of photography?
    Marry rich.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Marry rich.
    I'm dating a doctor at Yale and it hasn't really helped me much... lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin