Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,907   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF

Seeing Creatively - When It Happens/When It Doesn't & Why?

When I'm out and about in and around the city, or of course anywhere else. I notice so many instances/scenes that would make great photos. This is usually when I'm WITHOUT my camera. When I've got my gear with me, "this" doesn't happen ( not merely as much)
    What's going on here?
    Is creativity a phantom, a jinn, or genie that evades human control?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can relate...maybe we're trying to hard???
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    35mm
    The camera's a distraction, it's easy to worry about the technical issues and stop seeing what's around you. Sometimes I find myself missing the really obvious because my vision is impaired by the camera clamped to my face ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a cheap-ass point and shoot digital camera and carry it with you at all times when you don't have a real camera.
    Throw it in the glove compartment of your car, keep it in your knapsack or your coat pocket. If you have an iPhone, use that.

Whenever the creative spirit hits you, snap a digipic. When you get home, download the pictures and look at them. When you see them on the screen, decide if they are really what you wanted. If they are, pick an appropriate day and time to go back and shoot with a real camera.

Back in the day, lots of pros and serious amateurs carried instamatics, Polaroids or single-use, disposable cameras to do the same thing. Now you can do the same thing with a digicam.

Nobody said digicams weren't good for anything. Just not for serious pictures.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would actually go out without a camera but with a notebook to take notes of possible photos. I record a detailed description of the site and position of the camera, time of day, lighting, etc. Later I would revisit a site and take the pictures. As mentioned above you can really focus your creativity when you are not mentally weighed down by the camera.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the wonderful World of photography.
    Ben

DF

I suppose when one consciously knows their camera is at hand, they're unconsciously not as free as they are when without.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is why I have spent a couple years obsessing over technical details and trying lots of equipment: I want to get to the point I have a comfortable device and the technical aspects are second-nature. I feel I freeze up in those.
    --
    Rolleicord V, Bronica ETRS, Pentax KM, Minolta XG-M, Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35, Ansco Buster Brown No.3
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/51479229@N04/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DF View Post
    Is creativity a phantom, a jinn, or genie that evades human control?
    Sticking with the genie idea as a metaphor for photographic visualization, I like to put it back in the oil lamp so I can use it later. I recommend use a pocket memo, as Gerald recommends versus a digi cam. Generally from my notes I write down one photo op/idea and then by the time I go to take the photograph I've come up with half dozen or more ideas. Kinda' like one genie sprouting even more genies.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I rethink many times the difference is "enjoying the world around you" vs "going out to take pictures".

The other thing I think is that many times what we see is a composite our brain puts together that no camera can match. For example I typically remember the moon being bigger than what ends up on film.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin