Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,675   Online: 974

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stereograms!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R Paul View Post
    Which camera did you use? I have an Realist,and it's a great camera. I also have a TDC projector but haven't dug it out in dog's age,and will probably go to digital for projection
    I used an RZ67 actually, with a macro rail installed sideways to give me the lateral offset for each frame. You only need a "real" 3D camera if you want to shoot 3D images of moving things.

Roger: absolutely you should try it. It looks awesome despite the low resolution (1920x1080) on most home projectors and TVs. Showing images at high quality I think is the main reason I'd consider buying a 4k TV because for sure there is no broadcast content out there to give them any other purpose.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I find this fascinating. I'm installing a home theater this weekend including a 3D projector. If I can shoot 3D stills and project onto my 10' wide screen to view with the projector's active shutter glasses, I think that could be amazingly cool and fun.

Any other suggestions for cameras and such? I don't know the first thing about what stereo cameras were made and what features they had.
    Shoot, Roger, just go out with a sliding camera mount and shoot two frames with the camera you have. That way you can use your existing lenses, the resulting pair of slides can be thought as "in-camera dupes" as Galen Rowell used to call them.

They can be 2-D or 3-D as the occasion calls for it.

For example, any of Polyglot's stereograms, would stand alone well as a 2-D photograph because of the rich imagery...

It's just icing on the cake that there's a stereo pair in there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very cool. I thought of some kind of movable bracket or such, but I would like to be able to shoot photos including people in at least "normal" motion, for some of what I have in mind.

I was definitely doing a projector not a TV though and 4k projectors are still absurdly expensive with the least expensive coming in at $14k street. The TVs are coming down drasatically but, as you say, there is a lack of content though I've heard that 1080p content upconverted still looks amazingly better than regular 1080p. I compared 4k and 1080p flat screens at the local Fry's and while the 4k was incredibly good they just had some looped video for content AND I'd say the jump isn't as big as standard def up to 1080p.

I went to that site you mentioned, Berezin, and found mixed info. All the references to 3d display on TVs is to, well, TVs and particularly Samsung. There are mentions of other displays but not a lot of clear easy to find info and they particularly list Samsung and Mitsubishi, DLP for both and LED for Samsung. My new projector is an Epson Home Cinema 2030, which is a three chip LED projector. Will they all display the same files as far as you know?

Some kind of bracket like that would certainly be a way to get started without buying more hardware.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can just do the "astronaut shuffle" and just shift side to side. It works better than you'd think. They did it on the moon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does someone make a bracket or the slide rail PG mentioned to make this easy? I'd be concerned with getting the lens rotated - that is, you want to slide it, say, three inches left or right but would have to be careful the camera didn't also rotate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Search for "macro rail" on eBay. The first few results are all 2-axis black rack+pinion things with ruler markings, about $30-$35, and I used one axis of one of those. No rotation, just a clean translation.

And of course with the ruler on there, you can do hyper/hypo-stereo (it changes the appearance of scale) by choosing your interpupillary distance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I finally finished the theater installation Saturday, and got around to viewing the stereograms William sent me just now. They look great, absolutely amazing projected to (on my screen) several feet by several feet. My screen is actually about 11' wide but that's for 16:9 video. These shots are much more rectangular but they fill the screen vertically.

I'm hooked. Got to buy that macro rail, but I also notice the moved people in a couple of shots and I think I'll really want a stereo camera too. But I can start with the rail as that is cheap and easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    You can just do the "astronaut shuffle" and just shift side to side. It works better than you'd think. They did it on the moon.
    +1

viewing them works well doing the cross- eyed stare
    a 3rd image pops up and is 3d.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin