Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,554   Posts: 1,573,148   Online: 820

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Look at that car!

Because most of my photographs will eventually be from 'a long time ago' I sometimes find myself intentionally trying to anchor the image in its time. Nothing seems to do this (in America) as well as an automobile. Regularly altered, ubiquitous, non-threatening, usually motionless; they make a pretty good visual timestamp. Does anybody else do this? If so what do you use?
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    cars and clothes are excellent -- nothing i hate more than old pictures that just show scenery -- could be anytime. Hair styles help too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ive used cars and clothes as well

great way to date a photo honestly, or make it appear as if in an earlier time (look for the Nova in my Gallery and you will see what I mean)

another good method to date a photo is architecture
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exif data.. haha...

Actually a sharpy written date atop the printfile page. Otherwise, it'd be tough for many of my photos. Nature shots looking like the 70's. Antique cars and planes. 30's pictorialist stuff, retro bands with retro instruments.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hi s-a

i am guilty of being sort of sometimes from the other camp.
    often times i don't really pay attention to whether there is a "date stamp"
    but cars, clothes, ephemera, "material-culture" all work for me
    john

Shooter
    35mm
    Hmmm, I actually try and keep modern cars, etc out of my B&W pictures, just so they can't be dated. I never thought about why, it's just something I've always done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    Hmmm, I actually try and keep modern cars, etc out of my B&W pictures, just so they can't be dated. I never thought about why, it's just something I've always done.
    Well, me too

I made this photo couple of weeks ago

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/art/Paris-6-410712354

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Darco, I guess the bagpack and that hoodie would reveal its correct setting to me. If I would be scrupiously looking.
    I was wondering about those white soles, but I remember having sport shoes with withe sole-trimmining back then. That cable of that player would most probably be seen as a scratch.

I have to admit I never thought of giving my photographs a time stamp. Interesting idea.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I often try to catch elements that will date a photo; especially in "street photography. So many photographs from the past which would otherwise seem ordinary improve with age (for me) because of a dated detail. Hair styles, clothing, cars and especially advertisements. Walker Evans left lots of shots that are interesting to me only because of their advertisements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm definitely one of those who often tries to avoid time stamping in my photos. It took me awhile to figure out, but I think I know why in many cases. I often take a specific picture because I see something in a scene that strikes a nostalgic note within me. In a sense, I am not so much taking a picture of the scene as it is, but as it was. (or may have been) To be sure, I would say that this is not an exclusive consideration which defines me as a photographer, but it does have an impact on how I may compose, shoot and print a scene, particularly when I am visiting a city which may be several hundred years old.

I may shoot a scene with the intention of juxtaposing the old with the new, perhaps some crumbling plaster or intricate vintage roof-line, shot against a shiny new skyscraper in the background. Juxtaposition is fodder for a great many wonderful photographs, but for me the stronger emotional impact might be to compose the shot so that the new does not intrude on the historic impact in the scene.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin