Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,519   Online: 872

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    "Duh" ?

Please don't be rude, it's unnecessary and makes you seem like an arse.

But then that seem to be the way people prefer to interact on APUG.
    I replied in kind to your snarky remark. With me, you're going to get back what you give.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This war of words seems unnessesary. I think we are all here because of a shared interest in photography. That means that we have more in common than separate us.

And, speaking from experience, nothing will get you into trouble like ego does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film is only a small part of the grander principle of photography: making pictures out of light sensitive substances by having those substances physically interact with subject matter.

The authority of a photograph to describe subject matter comes not from resemblance but from direct causation. Nothing else works like this, not paintings, not drawings, not digital.

That's why I make photographs instead of doing the other things.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been shooting film for a long time and just recently shoot digital. I want my pictures to look realistic not to look like it was shot with film nor digital. The film look is a defect of the media which is fine but not something I am long for. Digital has its own look and I am not seeking that look either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Horses for courses.
    I took my 7D and 70-300L to the Jurong Bird Park in Singapore and filled my 8+16gb cards with over 1000 images. Not really possible with film without doubling the size of my backpack and halving my bank balance.
    (although, I did just burn through a few rolls of TX at the cricket with my EOS3, only for fun and because the rolls were cheap).

For anything else (which is pretty much everything else but birds these days) I mostly shoot film. When I can get a 4x5" digital sensor to fit on my Toyo for under $1000 then I might consider going (back to) digital. But 4x5" Velvia still has the best quality/price ratio for landscapes for me.
    For macros with weird lighting setups I also chimp on digital even if the final shot is made on film (I'm gradually learning manual lighting, but still don't have a proper flashmeter)

Meanwhile, I still can't figure out what the OP website is, or what it has to do with anything.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why do I shoot film?
    1) I do not shoot digital because I could never learn chimpin'.
    2) Digital black & white is flat. It has no soul.
    3) I do not have a gun.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There are many media to choose from; so why restrict oneself to two mediums that have so little in common. There is very little actual cross-training skills between the two. Most of the apparent similarities are superficial and due to marketing, eg Adobe. If you want to learn another media, might as well be something like pen & ink sketching. Far more useful than learning digital.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    / - / - - / + / ++ / ++ Alt / +++ /

What on earth is this 'shorthand' repeated in film descriptions?

.::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot film because I enjoy the entire process, from developing the negatives to making the prints. The darkroom is a place of refuge. There's a tactile component to making a print. My extremely brief foray into digital didn't give me the same feeling.
    That being said, if I were still doing commercial work, I'd be doing it digitally (I'd have to buy a camera, though). Business considerations would trump my personal preferences.
    Digital bashing makes no sense, these days. It is improving rapidly. At one time, yeah, it was vastly inferior. Those days are gone. Many people are producing fine work with their digital tools. Bashing makes those of us who choose to do our work in a darkroom look petty, as if we need justification for our personal choices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    / - / - - / + / ++ / ++ Alt / +++ /

What on earth is this 'shorthand' repeated in film descriptions?

Just a guess, but something to do with pull-/push-ability? 2-stops under to 3 stops over?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin