Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,511   Posts: 1,543,570   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What's the point of this?

This looks like a case of we have equipment that can do this so we're gonna. A case of boys and their toys? I find no artistic value what so ever.

http://petapixel.com/2014/03/17/face...its-look-like/
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks to me like the intention is to make portraits of people who look and are as uncomfortable and unhappy as possible.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Digital Chuck Close...

Shooter
    35mm

dood it

He did it because he could. Who knows, maybe somebody will figure out that it is actually worth doing. Columbus supposedly "discovered America." I imagine many explorers discovered places nobody had any use for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Emotions are completely missing. Emotions show up only briefly while Macro photography takes half an hour. The person has to stay motionless while being photographed by the robot."

Hot dog! That's what we're after these days. It's the complete opposite of randomly generated works, but with exactly the same end results...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later."

Well, that is what happens when you try to host 900MP images.

As to the point? Probably the same as going to the moon or climbing everest. Because it's possible and noone has yet...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember when I saw Richard Avedon's The American West in a gallery in Chicago. The prints were huge mounted on aluminum. As some already know, Avedon did his work on his 8x10 camera. I could see the dirt on the pores on one of his subjects. I found the work interesting. But not these gigantoid digital shots. These shots seem clinical and sterile. They are just digital human scans.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just call up illumiquest. He does this every day.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The result doesn't look like it's higher resolution than what you could get shooting 8x10", not terribly fancy lenses, and drum scanning, and that you could do in a single shot without the subject having to hold still for however long it takes to make 600 exposures with a robot arm. Seems like a gimmick to me.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All that sophisticated equipment, and what looks like a barber's chair, lol.

It is interesting, but most people would not want every blemish and detail in their portraits.
    This does remind me of stories abotu very old portraiture, with slow plates, and people having to sit motionless an uncomfortable for a long time. Perhaps they're just trying to recreate the original experience, but with modern tech.
    Truzi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin