Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,059   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Placing the subject on the right or left?

In reviewing many photos, I find myself prefering photos where the main subject is on the right. I wonder if that has anything to do with being right-handed or right-eye-dominant or some such. Does anyone else see this in themselves?

Question for left-handers: Do you find yourself prefering compositions with the main subject on the right or left?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it has more to do with the fact that we are used to reading from left to right, so when we look at a photograph it's a natural flow for the eye if the subject is on the right.

jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i'm left handed but use either side in composition. i think it has more to do with natural processing of visual information. if a subject is on the left, it may be more in the foreground and the background sort of follows it or is subservient to it. you know, reading left-to-right. if the subject is on the right, i would think the other areas/info in the image lead up to the subject. so i think the placement subtley defines the relationship between subject and other items/people/subjects in the image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am left handed. I find that it depends on what the near field subject [person] is looking at. Sometimes I use the person to block something that I do not want in the photograph.

Sometimes I shoot in English.
    Sometimes I shoot in Hebrew.
    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have twin neices, and to keep every shot of them "separate but equal", I'll shoot one biased to the right, and one to the left, so that the two shots will work together on a wall or desk.

Seems to work best if they're "looking toward" each other in the separate shots, rather than back-to-back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    I am left handed. I find that it depends on what the near field subject [person] is looking at. Sometimes I use the person to block something that I do not want in the photograph.

Sometimes I shoot in English.
    Sometimes I shoot in Hebrew.
    Steve
    Good one, Steve!

I'm left-handed as well, and I do tend to compose right to left, but sometimes a scene just screams the opposite. While I do tend to be highly left-hand dominate, I am right eye dominant. I almost always read magazines & newspapers back to front.

So basically... no answers here!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd put conservatives on the left and liberals on the right, just to mix things up.
    It gets really confusing though, when you are using a camera with a WLF.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh no! Now I have to figure right from left (not to mention "top from bottom") while balancing my "Rule of Thirds"! :o

I am right handed - which is a good thing for me since the shutter button is in my dominant hand! [Take that you southpaws!].

But I've never really thought about whether to put the subject in the left third or the right third.

Oh, and then what do I do when shooting on the vertical?

But, you know, I kind of like this new forum....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And what do you do when there is no subject?

Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    And what do you do when there is no subject?

I think you have a subject...

BTW, it is sad that even now, central Montreal remains so empty....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin