Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,148   Online: 1037

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm going to rescan just the auto at a very large dpi setting and maybe send it off to a US auto expert/historian to see what he/she says. thanks for the websites...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My guess on the time frame would be sometime during the depression. The car looks to be parked for a while on the side of the house but it doesn't seem to be an antique due to the clothing etc. of the people in the photo. I would assume this car was parked due to the expense to maintain and it becoming a non necessity. I would guess the car was sitting for about 1-2 years. the top is still in okay shape but there is some growth around the car. My guess at the year of the photo take would be 1931 if it was in the US.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Drew. I have pics of my wife's uncles( UK late 30's) with similar hairstyle to the man holding the baby. His specs and double breasted jacket and hairstyle give him a Glen Millar look. So maybe 1940's

I am thinking also of the young librarian in "China Town"of Jack Nicholson/ Fay Dunaway fame which I think was set in the late 30's/early 40s.

As a baby I looked similar to this baby in clothes style.I was born '46 and as baby clothes in '46 probably changed little from a few years before, it all points to late 30's/early 40's

I feel we can rule out the 1920s or even early 30's. The older gent has what appears to be a very broad but short tie which is gaudily painted. This should help date it as well. It ressembles what we in the U.K. later referred to as a Spiv's tie. Popular with musical hall type comedians like Max Millar and Tommy Trinder and the "Spiv" reference was to black marketeers during rationing during WWII. The style of tie persisted through the 40's.

All in all, I think it strongly points to the late 30s/ early 40's but more likely the early 40s. I know my references are to the U.K but the two countries mirrored each other to a large extent.

Let us know what transpires. I like these kind of puzzles

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is difficult the place the country as there was so much emmigration to America during WWII. The young chap looks German/ Belgian to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've researched the auto and it is similar to two american vehicles - a 31-32 Chevrolet model and a similarly aged Buick. I agree, this vehicle might have been sitting there for...5-10 years? These people, I'm sure, are Scots-American and I would say the male standing on the right would be about my father's age...so maybe the kids are my generation but 10-15 years older than me. (my parents were in their mid to late 30s when I was born) I have to go to Providence next week to the state archives for research and see if the names found on the rear of the photo can be found there. I'll keep you informed....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew B. View Post
    I've researched the auto and it is similar to two american vehicles - a 31-32 Chevrolet model and a similarly aged Buick. I agree, this vehicle might have been sitting there for...5-10 years? These people, I'm sure, are Scots-American and I would say the male standing on the right would be about my father's age...so maybe the kids are my generation but 10-15 years older than me. (my parents were in their mid to late 30s when I was born) I have to go to Providence next week to the state archives for research and see if the names found on the rear of the photo can be found there. I'll keep you informed....
    drew

have you checked out ancestery.com ?
    they have census records, and web-links to
    other geneological archives like the morman church.
    pretty much an geneologist's dream

at the ri historical society library, they have transcriptions
    of all the grave markers voter registrations records, street directories &C
    to help you in that department ...
    but ancestory.com is free and easy and might some more information and
    save you some $ and a drive.
    --
    good luck!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Been there...done that. That site is free up to a point... and been to the morman family research site(s) in Foxboro and Harwich and have gotten a ways but its now time to motor on down to the city and let my fingers do the walking!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    good luck Drew. Now I'm as interested in your family as you are. Keep us informed.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are people who have extensive hammer collections also, even though a long shot, details all add up. The clothes, width of ties and styles, including eyeglass styles are of a period.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew B. View Post
    Drew,

The auto looks like a 32 model. I have a photo of my father wearing the same, or very similar, clothes as the man standing with child and the hair style is identical. He was born in 1910 and looked about 30 years old in the photo. My guess is 1940, give or take a year.

Regards,
    Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin