Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,623   Online: 1071

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just thought of a good resource for you about dating the car (the most likely way to place the photo in time) - Harrah's automobile collection. They maintain a MASSIVE library which covers just about every known make and model of car ever produced, and has documentation of every car in the collection that they've restored, throughout the restoration process. Contact them through their website- http://www.automuseum.org/ . I can say definitively that the photo was taken a number of years after the car was made (probably at least five to ten years) due to the condition of the convertible top. Whatever the car is, it was a pretty nice car because of the S-irons on the sides of the convertible top- those were luxury touches. If it is an American car, it is probably something like a Buick, Olds, Caddy, Lincoln, maybe a Packard or Chrysler. Not later than 1932 or 1933. Most likely late 1920s. I'd email the photo to the Harrah's research librarians and see what they can come up with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like a 1934 Traction Avant Citroen to me. Hard to tell though. See http://eurocitro.chez-alice.fr/12ICCCR.html That style of back window looks very Citroenish to me though.

Good luck,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i think the photo is mid 40's. i think the car is a clue but misleading because it is parked beside the house and overgrown. the spare wheel is on the right hand side of the car, and still rather narrow making me think its a late 20's early 30's model. it matches hair styles I've seen in my family photos from the 40's also with the slicked hair. but that also could be misleading. i think the suite style is your best bet along with the clothing style of the little boy on the bench might help.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Tommy's probably right- the clothes will give you the most accurate timeframe, but given the probable timeframe, they may not be much more accurate than the car. If the photo was taken during the Great Depression, the clothes could be as much as ten years old (although these don't look it). The kids fashions should be the best guide because their clothes can't be more than a year or two old, but I don't know how much kids fashions changed in the 1920s to 1940s. Especially boys' clothes.

I'l guess 1939. and call the car a 1928-31 Ford Model A Cabriolet (from the landau irons on the convertible top). The Model A would imply the USA.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin