Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,541   Online: 964

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Field of view

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post

But why is film horizontal? Why is my computer screen horizontal, and canít I write decently a letter on it?
    Because you bought a screen like that They used to make screens that were setup like a written page. Plus bigger ones more like a two pages side by side. Because of the cost [both the monitor and the desk space for the bigger models] most people didn't buy them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    They used to make screens that were setup like a written page.
    I had one of those a long time ago, specifically for doing typesetting work. It was great being able to see a whole page at a glance. Of course, with today's computers, many LCD monitors can be easily rotated to be used vertically if you desire, even though most people don't do it.

For books and magazines, the vertical format is just easier from a production and handling point of view; horizontal books are harder to hold. Books have been made that way since the invention of the codex. For art that's hung on a wall, I suppose that's not so much of an issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John Logie Baird adopted a portrait format for the first video recordings (late 20's) and broadcast television (early 30's).

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What's a 'natural' field of view?

Do you make postcard-sized prints and look at them from (a) 6 in/15cm or (b) 12 in/30cm; or 12x16 inch/30x40cm prints and view them from (a) 12 in/30cm (b) 24 in/60cm or (c) 36 in/90cm?

Consider the angle subtended by the subject, at the eye, at the time of taking, and the angle subtended at the time of viewing the print. When the two match reasonably closely there is a particularly three-dimensional effect.

Cheers,

R.
    Last edited by Roger Hicks; 06-04-2007 at 02:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: semicolon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Why is my computer screen horizontal, and can’t I write decently a letter on it?
    Clearly the people who do spreadsheets have more power than the people who write letters.

Our department secretary has a screen that rotates, and she seems to leave it in vertical mode.

There are a few cameras that are natively vertical, like the Bronica 645 RF and the Linhof 220 (there was a horizontal version, but it's much rarer than the vertical one), and I'd suspect some of the long roll portrait cameras.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Clearly the people who do spreadsheets have more power than the people who write letters.
    Interesting observation, David. And probably more correct than not!

I work in finance but a few years ago moved from the analytical side to the legal documentation. I now find it more frustrating working from a monitor since, as you note, it favors spreadsheets over text!

Alas, being a lowly attorney, I do not have the clout of an Admin Asst. to insist on a rotatable screen. Heck, in our shop, I'm happy if the damned system doesn't crash!

BTW: I do find, in 35mm format, I prefer the vertical with, of course, the exception of the standard landscape shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A relatively cheap video card will allow you to choose the orientation of the screen, the screen itself needn't have a rotation feature. Simply get one of the cards (I think most any nVidia card from a 7600GS up will do it) and mount the montor sideways.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    A relatively cheap video card will allow you to choose the orientation of the screen, the screen itself needn't have a rotation feature. Simply get one of the cards (I think most any nVidia card from a 7600GS up will do it) and mount the montor sideways.
    Ah, JD, I see you do not work in the corporate world domintated by IT security!

To introduce anything into your computer at work - even putting a CD into the slot or attaching a data stick - is grounds for employment termination!

Great idea for freelancers and consultants, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am all too aware of the strictures of corporate weaseldom having been a weasel of the boogle once and possibly always.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin