Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,190   Online: 755

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Infra-red other than landscapes

I have just bought some Kodak HIE IR film but since I put it in the camera on the sun has not put in an appearance for 4 days and the long range weather forecast suggests that we are not going to see much of it for the next few days at least (I live in the NE of England).

I could just wait to take pics of parks and gardens in Newcastle and Gateshead, which was my initial aim, but this delay has got me thinking about other subjects for Kodak infra-red e.g. still life, macro. I wonder if anyone has tried 'unusual' IR work i.e. other than the usual sunny landscapes/architectures?

Les

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've tried Kodak EIR for portraits.
    It produces a rather spooky effect, with skin tending to turn a light greenish yellow colour.

I haven't used HIE for anything other than landscapes.
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could experiment using flash. There is a bit of information and a guide table for exposure in the Kodak data sheet: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../f13/f13.jhtml

It's towards the bottom of the page.

I have just started experimenting with Ilford SFX but I am going to restrict myself to daylight on bright sunny days at the moment.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    HIE works well with a wide range of subjects - if you want to try it with still-life, most flood lamps put out plenty of IR. You can also use it with human subjects - although the infrared nude has been about done to death, it's certainly a distinctive look.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    IR is the new black.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Snip- "although the infrared nude has been about done to death".
    Fried or grilled?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
    IR is the new black.
    Only on the negative - which makes it the new white.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    IR film is particularly interesting for long-exposure night pictures, I think. Sometimes heavy over-exposure can give a graphically interesting dissolvingness about street lamps and low light sources that you don't particularly notice at the time. I particularly like how HIE renders movement --gives a different appearance to traffic, for example, that's wispy and just plain interesting. Interesting for still-life set-ups as well, sometimes. It's an interesting film in the palette, but should be used in a way that somehow sidesteps the instant recognition of the trademark IR appearance. IR negatives in lith can be very interesting, though no panacea. Portraits.... yes, sometimes, perfect for those goth bands! WeeGee's "cinema flash" pictures, made with IR film, are magnificent. Cool film, it can sometimes really hit the spot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did a series of portraits with Konica 750nm IR film. It gives lovely skin tones but the eyes come out black (well, the iris and pupil does) which can look very striking, but a bit unnatural!

I used flash and it worked really well once I got the exposure right. I've tried portraits with Kodak but found the gritty grain and halation on top of the much more severe IR effect to be altogether a bit much. As mentioned, good for album covers, maybe...

Point is, IR film of all types works well with tungsten light and flash and has the huge advantage that once you get the exposure right you can reproduce it each time and don't need to bracket, or keep your fingers crossed, as when you are outdoors :-)

Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Studio IR

There are a couple of non-landscape HIE shots in my gallery, I find HIE interesting for still lifes and urban scenes & architecture as well as the more common subject matter. It is hard to predict how tones will record so you just have to try it.
    FYI I have found electronic flash to be a very similar light source to daylight for HIE film.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin