Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,090   Online: 849

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    regarding earth from the sky, william garnett and steve mulligan certainly elevate it from being merely a 'scientific curiosity'. the subject selection nd the method are part of the expression.

back to colour foto - anyone like shinzo maeda ? amazing stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim, I won't argue against the fact that many people are tokens of a larger type. Maisel is one, Burtynsky as well, and so on, like the calendars.

In a separate thread, people were discussing originality v. quality. I, like others, bemoan the fact that artists too often look for the novelty in order to fulfill an artificially created need for originality. And it's true, a lot of the stuff you see in art magazines will be gone in two months once the novelty wears off. It would be an occasional and refreshing event to see an artist that is not trying to outdo his peers, and instead strive for simple quality, and good execution.

But the opposite problem is of people who simply produce "correct" pictures, that respect the rules of spatial composition, colour harmony, exposure, and development.

I'm not dismissing the pictures you showed for lack of quality in execution, but I ask myself: Why do these pictures matter over all the other ones? They're slick, well exposed and pleasing to the taste of many, but they don't have the vague sense of a theme, nor a particular outlook on life, nor an effort to see pictorially beyond the canons of received beauty. They don't articulate a statement, thematic or pictorial, they don't say something.

Of all the three Cornish pictures, the last one is perhaps the only one that comes close to articulating something, because of the parallel between the cirrus clouds and the beach patterns. But I can't see anything similar applying to the sun-through-clouds one or the cliff.

Perhaps if I knew a little bit more about Cornish, saw a few more of his pictures, I could read him better, just like you confessed your inability to see what Sternfeld is articulating.

So to come back to the question of being token-of-a-type, I don't think it matters if someone is "calendary" because of the way their photos look. They're calendary only when they don't make an effort to articulate anything. It's not about being original v. cliché, but about saying something worth hearing.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    I have been spending evenings in the last week editing "New Black and White" on flickr... down from 56,000 photos to maybe 2 or 3 thousand by the time I'm done.
    I wish I had that kind of time on my hands.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    I wish I had that kind of time on my hands.

Heh -- it only took two years for me to get a clear window for it (about one hour per night was all I could stand).

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heh -- it only took two years for me to get a clear window for it (about one hour per night was all I could stand).
    g'day all

bjorke, could you possibly expand on how/why/and who would care that you are the arbiter of all things "fine art"

Ray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm confused, as I never made such a claim. All I was talking about was this link which is full of pictures that I like.

I said that the term "fine art" is inherently highly suspect, in fact.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3843178...ags/chongqing/ rethinks LF landscape and see the land as a lightbursting hatching egg. And made by an old guy :P
    This is some very good work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm confused, as I never made such a claim. All I was talking about was this link which is full of pictures that I like.

I said that the term "fine art" is inherently highly suspect, in fact.

g'day bjorke

didn't you post that you are editing the images on a website?

you also made some strong statements about "fine art" and how it is perceived on this site

i just wanted you to expand on your opinions

Ray

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin