Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,610   Online: 964

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was the editor of the NPS quarterly journal in the early 1980s. The group folded because an immature officer refused to release the membership list so that the journal and newsletters could be mailed; he repeatedly denied his involvement and soon thereafter founded a new group under the old name.

The journal and newsletters were a gold mine of alternative process and soft focus lens information but the real education was to participate in the mail portfolios where you could hold master prints in your hands. Members such as Karl Struss would answer your questions over the phone. It was a golden age.

What a shame it was killed by one person.

Russ

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Robert,
    Keep us posted. Pictorialism and pictorialist style images are a great interest of mine. I would likely break my long tradition and take part in such an exhibit.
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    A pictorialist was a member of a photographic movement, mainly in the early 20th century, that thought that photography should imitate tradional painting. They tended to use soft focus lenses and went for a dreamy atmosphere. Edward Weston started out as a pictorialist. William Mortensen was another example. Group F64 (Adams, Weston, ...) was a reaction against pictorialism.
    Ahhh, thanks to Adams and Weston for saving us! When I think about soft focus lenses...my blood runs cold.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I too would be interested in participating. Please post your call for submissions here when you have the details formalized.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Young View Post
    I was the editor of the NPS quarterly journal in the early 1980s. The group folded because an immature officer refused to release the membership list so that the journal and newsletters could be mailed; he repeatedly denied his involvement and soon thereafter founded a new group under the old name.

The journal and newsletters were a gold mine of alternative process and soft focus lens information but the real education was to participate in the mail portfolios where you could hold master prints in your hands. Members such as Karl Struss would answer your questions over the phone. It was a golden age.

What a shame it was killed by one person.

Russ
    Russ, are the journals and newsletters still around? I would donate my time/expertise to digitize them for inclusion on apug.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hello everyone.
    Once I get more information, such as speakers and people willing to do demos, I will post annoucements. I had found this site, www.alternativephotography.com and it has some of what I'm looking for but not all. I noticed that some Apuggers are in this forum as well.
    We have a university that is willing to host us and it has a state of the art photo dept. The Dept head and his assistant are both big fans of alternative processes. With PPF, we had VanDyke brown printing, pinhole, cyanotype and platinum/paladium workshops at the school.
    Anyways, thats where I'm sitting at. I have the space and people to help organize the event. But what I need is speakers.
    Thanks
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Bob,

I'd be into this... sounds like a hoot.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    But what I need is speakers.
    Thanks
    Robert, what type of speakers are you looking for? Much of my research has been on the history of pictorialism and the development of pictorialism in Japan versus that in the West.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert-

I have just submitted my dissertation (St. Andrews University, Scotland) on soft focus lenses. You might inquire of folks present at APIS 2005 or the English APIS 2003 who heard me speak on the subject; I can PM you my viva if you are interested.

Jeremy- I have a nearly complete run of the NPS Journal and Newsletters- there are a lot! However, there may be some copyright issues. PM me if you're still game and we can discuss the nitty-gritty.

Russ

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew B. View Post
    Ahhh, thanks to Adams and Weston for saving us! When I think about soft focus lenses...my blood runs cold.
    He may have save you but he utterly destroyed a great artist, William Mortenson who layed the ground work for his zone system. Just because, in his small vision of what photography should be, had no room for anything else.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin