Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,686   Online: 756

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Looking for New Pictorialst society or other like groups

Hey there.
    Portland Photographers Forum is playing with the ideal of doing a Pictorialism/aternative process event in the Pacific Northwest. We have a site, We have space for a show, we have ideas, but we need photographers. I had ran into a group called "The New Pictorialist Society" back in 2004. Are they still active? Have they evolved into something else?
    I have some names but I would like more input. Can you Apuggers help me, please?
    Thanks
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What's a pictoralist?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A pictorialist was a member of a photographic movement, mainly in the early 20th century, that thought that photography should imitate tradional painting. They tended to use soft focus lenses and went for a dreamy atmosphere. Edward Weston started out as a pictorialist. William Mortensen was another example. Group F64 (Adams, Weston, ...) was a reaction against pictorialism.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    Hey there.
    Portland Photographers Forum is playing with the ideal of doing a Pictorialism/aternative process event in the Pacific Northwest. We have a site, We have space for a show, we have ideas, but we need photographers. I had ran into a group called "The New Pictorialist Society" back in 2004. Are they still active? Have they evolved into something else?
    I have some names but I would like more input. Can you Apuggers help me, please?
    Thanks
    Ahem, did you Google, "The New Pictorialist Society"? If you do you might find this URL:

http://pictorialist.org/

And other links.

If you are looking for photographers you might consider making a call for submissions.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    Ahem, did you Google, "The New Pictorialist Society"? If you do you might find this URL:

http://pictorialist.org/

And other links.

If you are looking for photographers you might consider making a call for submissions.
    I did find the link but it seems to be under construction with no other links. I have the same list on Large Format Forum and someone there says the society maybe gone as the lead person has departed.
    But, I'll keep looking.

As to others, I'm willing to look into that venue as well.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To be truthful, I don't see any intrinisc link between pictorialism and LF or alternative processes.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey there.
    Thanks

g'day Robert
    i also looked at the website, not much to see

i wonder though, in this modern age, why we need to identify ourselves as a "Pictorialist" or a whatever

surely we are enlightened enough to realise some images are best presented pictorially (whatever that means) and other images are best presented some other way (dare i suggest that digital may even be an option)

i don't see a necessary connection between pictorialism and alt processes

Ray
    Last edited by Ray Heath; 06-24-2007 at 03:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: i can't spell pictorlism (?)

Shooter
    Large Format
    A few years ago Jay Allen (author of Pictorial and Soft Focus Lenses and the Cooke PS945 instruction manual) was trying to organize some sort of group show for new Pictorialists or soft focus lens users (not the same thing, I just can't remember which). It might be worth your while to contact him.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Robert
    I would be interested in putting together 4 or 5 photographers work together including my own for your show. I would need details of dates , sizes of framed pieces and all that good stuff.

Hey there.
    Thanks

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Since coining the term ACS ( acute galli syndrom ), I have contracted the disease. I live in Seattle and would like to participate.
    Thanks,
    John Berry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin