Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,958   Online: 771

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

John Szarkowski dead

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/09/ar...l?pagewanted=1

I did not care for his aesthetics choices but nonetheless he was THE major curator of photography in the last four decades and played a key role in bringing it to the public eye as an art form. He was, in a way, a spokesman for us all.

Russ Young

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So sad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is one major figure departing us. To think that just earlier today Alec Soth was still bitching about him on his blog...
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No, Soth was bitching about Tod Papageorge.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That is sad news. I didn't always agree with his aesthetics. I met him when I was a student at Visual Studies Workshop back in the early 90's. He was surprisingly accessible and kind to the grads who came to hear his lecture.
    He and Beaumont Newhall did more to elevate photography to the level of art than any other historians of the 20th century.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the 1960s MOMA was the center of the contemporary art world. The New Documents exhibit not only cemented photography's acceptance as a fine art form, but influenced a generation of future photographers and photography instructors to emulate the Arbus/Friedlander/Winngrand "school". It also became a template for other institutions and galleries to follow in building collections.

you can agree or disagree with Szarkowski's curatorial abilities and choices, but I think there is little doubt that he was one of the two or three most important people with regards to photography in the last half of the 20th century.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This, along with the passing of other luminaries, makes me wonder, who of the contemporary photographers, educators and critics will be seen as being the most influential of our time.
    ". . . photographing as a two-way act of respect. Respect for the medium and letting it do what it does best- describe. And respect for the subject in describing it as it is. A photograph must be responsible to both."-- Garry Winogrand

"Art is just a Series of Natural Gestures."-- John Marin

My Platinum Printing Blog

My WEBSITE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty71 View Post
    That is sad news. I didn't always agree with his aesthetics. He and Beaumont (*) Newhall did more to elevate photography to the level of art than any other historians of the 20th century.
    (*) and Nancy

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    (*) and Nancy

Some would argue that B/N excluded photographers that deserved recognition. I'm not knocking what they did or didn't do but just throwing that out.
    Don Bryant

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin