Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,371   Online: 794

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon King View Post
    George,

I'm really sorry, but your explanation of the world just flies in the face of how I understand color and black & white to be.....
    http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1100879

If I need to choose between you and Calvin.... sorry..

On a more serious note, I agree the posters that feel that good B&W images emphasize the shapes, the tones, and texture. I think that compelling color images are harder to make, since the the color needs to enhance the other aspects of the picture, not detract from it. I do hope to get better at it - I'm taking some color photography classes at a local art college - perhaps I'll get it some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend Videbak View Post
    Cheers "copake ham" for the blunt-force sarcasm, enjoyed that. I agree with your sentiment. I've heard quite a few photographers say "I just don't like colour" and, after my gag reflex has abated, I just shake my head internally. It doesn't matter. I guess B & W work is habit-forming because it's easy and cheap to develop films yourself ... heck, this is probably true of me. And it's probably a good thing for photography that quite a few good photographers work only in B & W.
    Svend,

As you can see from Jon's post - my idea was certainly not original. In fact, I had some memory of the Calvin and Hobbes comicstrip story he links to, though not the actual link itself and kind of turned the logic around. "C and H" used to be one of my favorite comic strips. Bill Watterson's wit and wisdom is well regarded:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_and_Hobbes

It's too bad he felt burnt out and stopped the strip.

I shoot both B&W and color, BTW.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    People have said that creating a good b&w image is harder than creating a good color image. I see it the other way around. I think it takes a better photographer to create a powerful color image, where color adds to the emotion and doesnt take it away. I hope that made sense. I personally have created more b&w images I'm happy with, than color images.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    "color theory" Colors have weight in their value. Too close a shade and the work is muddled. Just the right color in the right place and you have vibrancy and motion. You apply a filter with B&W to approximate color weights. Without the filter the image is/can be muddled. Apply a red filter and green falls back
    apply a green filter and green comes to the front ..or you could skip that chapter and just say the tones separate in much the same way as they do in color for us.
    I don't believe there is any difference. Using black and white film is just a new way of seeing color. I often take Color photos and simply desaturate em to see if there is any difference ..none. A good color photograph will make a good B&W same as a good color painting will make a good B&W painting. There is a reason why there are filters and that reason is "Contrast"
    Same reason for why always using a dark red filter isn't the best thing to do ..eventhough it seems "really cool" to do just that.
    B&W gives you the ability to paint a little bit and color is more like finding a painting

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One has emotion, depth and a sense of power ... the other just lacks color.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    I often take Color photos and simply desaturate em to see if there is any difference ..none. A good color photograph will make a good B&W same as a good color painting will make a good B&W painting.
    I completely disagree. Many really great color photographs lack the kind of lighting that gives soul to a B&W shot. And there are plenty of situations in which a B&W fails to communicate in the way that color can. The two are not the same thing, and not at all interchangeable IMO.

One major reason that I work in B&W is that it is less literal than color. If I'm photographing a child, I'm looking to say something about childhood in general, or maybe my own childhood, and monochrome is a big part of that. I like images that feel like distant memories.

- CJ

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    I don't believe there is any difference. Using black and white film is just a new way of seeing color. I often take Color photos and simply desaturate em to see if there is any difference ..none.
    Apologies for snipping out just what my reply targets.

I would just like to point out that a desaturated color image, and a black and white image are completely different things. The desaturated color image represents color tones without chroma, while a black and white image renders its values according to the spectral sensitivity of the film stock.
    A good example is that with certain B&W stocks the color red might register as very dark, or black, whilst with desaturated color, it would will record as a light gray. Desaturated color images lean mostly to mid tones, producing a look and feel of there own, but are nothing like black and white film and printing, except that they lack chroma. Your desaturated color image is indeed the same as the color image, minus the color.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 09-16-2007 at 02:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs View Post
    Many really great color photographs lack the kind of lighting that gives soul to a B&W shot.
    Anyone else know about the late Dean Collins? http://www.software-cinema.com/disc_...php?disc_id=82

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you read Sontag's ON PHOTOGRAPHY you'll learn at least as much as you ever cared to on the topic. Quite possibly more. It's an exhaustive analysis on the psychological aspects of the medium from many angles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    If you read Sontag's ON PHOTOGRAPHY you'll learn at least as much as you ever cared to on the topic. Quite possibly more. It's an exhaustive analysis on the psychological aspects of the medium from many angles.
    Quite possibly less.

It's really about HER idea of photography, not about the psychology thereof. That's why it's an essay, not an academic paper.

It's insightful and thought-provoking, but not what I would recommend to understand the emotional impact of photographs.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    that's a bit dismissive, I'd say. From your perspective, Michel - isn't it true that you could make the same statement about anything? I, personally, cannot imagine a more coherent document covering the emotional 'meaning' (i.e. psychology) of the medium. If you've read something that betters it in this respect - I'd really like to know about it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin