Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,860   Online: 830

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Need help with ideas for winter cards

I'm looking for some feedback and ideas for christmas/winter greeting cards. I sort of know what I want the final product to be (enlarged negative 4x5" cyanotype on watercolour paper, folded over to be a card) but I don't know what to do for a photo that looks cold and wintery because Southern England doesn't particularly get wintery and christmassy looking At least not for me as I'm from New England, USA originally... where's the snow? It's hard to even find ice to photograph!
    I resorted to trying to photograph cubes of ice in an old coffee maker jug... Some of them look quite nice but I don't think they look wintery... summery if anything (nice, icy cold drink!).

I really don't want to do the cheesy pictures of me and my husband that everyone else seems to send out. As my husband just pointed out, we're hideously ugly, we wouldn't want to show everyone that
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ice1a.jpg   ice2.jpg   ice3.jpg   ice4.jpg  
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    pick a sentiment and run with it.

why not include a cocktail recipe for christmas?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We don't do snow any more; you're in the tropics now you know.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Ruddy well is! I have to go to Norway in December for a wedding (!) so I looked up the december tempertures... 40-35F average high and low... looked up the december tempertures for back home... about 10degrees colder. IT'S COLDER IN NEW HAMPSHIRE THAN NORWAY!! :o
    I still remember the first time I came over here... it was December... and I was shocked by green, growing grass. That doesn't happen until April and stops around October/November where I'm from. Silly Gulf Stream effect...
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, even in Massachusetts, it didn't usually get going with lots of snow until right around Christmas. So one year, I used that fake spray snow on a branch of an evergreen with an ornament on it. Another year, I set up lights and small presents (ornaments from Pier 1) on a background on green and red paper. Neither idea would translate well to cyanotypes, but maybe they'll lead you somewhere?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could try and find a photogenic hoodie, and tone the print red. On the other hand they are few and far between.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    I have lived in Dave's part of England since 1978. The last and only time we had snow at Xmas( in fact just a week before Xmas) was 1978. In London forget it completely. Only Charles( Dickens that is) can remember any snow in London, along with Ebenezer and three ghosts.

I don't know what cyanotypes are capable of but if ordinary scenes are OK some of the National Trust properties do Xmas fayres in December. Everyone looks Dickensian and jolly. A bit cheesy really but it depends to whom the cards will be sent i.e. how they see Xmas in England.

If it's reality you want, try pics of 20somethings binge drinking with Santa Claus hats on. Xmas office parties usually start in early Dec.

Alternatively and based on my rant above and Dickens there is always me with a bowl of gruel, saying Bah Humbug.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You could try and find a photogenic hoodie, and tone the print red. On the other hand they are few and far between.
    Wow, how do you turn cyanotypes red? Seriously though, I've not heard of that kind of toning...
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ooh I had a thought. I just remembered I found a recipe for making "frost" on windows with epsom salts mixed in with beer. I might try that out. I'll have to clean my windows first though...
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Cullen Skink

Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Ooh I had a thought. I just remembered I found a recipe for making "frost" on windows with epsom salts mixed in with beer. I might try that out. I'll have to clean my windows first though...
    That s a good idea Could you share that recipe? We will probably be sending cards to different people, so it should nt cause a problem ?

A recipe for cullen skink would be appreciated if anyone over the pond has one handy....had some at the Royal McGregor in Edinburgh on a cold rainy night..that was a nice touch..
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin