Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,723   Online: 774

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it was Duke Ellington who said..."if it sounds good, it IS good"

for us: if it looks good it IS good

Shooter
    Medium Format
    At the moment I'm trying to put forward my favourite image in a portrait sitting. It's of a boy looking down to the side...some replies...

He's not looking at the camera!
    He's got his head chopped off.
    His head almost looks as if it's floating!
    I can hardly see it, it's too pale.

I'm clearly not very good at this.

Interesting comments, I will try a print with the top included.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gary, more than likely you just haven't reached your target market. Do what you love the way you want to do it, and you'll draw the people who appreciate it.

- CJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, I'm planning to exhibit the prints and do some very direct marketing to certain areas to attract my kind of people.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In all seriousness, cropping/chopping off parts of the anatomy can be used to emphasize the image or the emotion. A lot of film makers use it to great effect.

S
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I have no problem with "chopping"; it can be powerful IF the subject warrants the crop.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
    In all seriousness, cropping/chopping off parts of the anatomy can be used to emphasize the image or the emotion. A lot of film makers use it to great effect.

S
    Certainly; I feel that the image draws the viewer's attention to the subject's eyes.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs View Post
    Do what you love the way you want to do it, and you'll draw the people who appreciate it.
    I must say I agree with Cheryl (and with most tips on her website). Like almost everything in life, it's better to do things the way you prefer doing them... as it attracts people that "think alike" and makes your life a lot more pleasant than, having fruitless discussions over and over again.
    Personally I am a head-chopper... whether you like it or not ;-). As Cheryl points out: "Know your style before you hang out your shingle. If you don't, your clients will dictate your style to you. That makes you nothing more than a picture taker. Changing your style later will force you to start all over again, and that's tough.".

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ah I thought of this thread when I got some colour prints back yesterday... Wish my brother-in-law would have looked up a bit and swept his hair out of his face but, no, he had a bottle of beer in the other hand out of shot...and I chopped off his head too. :rolleyes: I don't think it's as artsy as the nice shots on the rest of this thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 02 alan small.jpg  
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I was about eleven years old, I was the only person with a camera at my aunt's wedding (despite my father being a wedding photographer at the time).

I had an Agfa Isolette which I used to produce a lovely set of perfectly exposed images. The problem was that the subjects heads were missing in most of them. I assume that I was a bit enthusiatic with the shutter and pushed the camera down at the same time.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin