Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,704   Online: 957

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Please myself photographically? Absolutely. How else can I schmooze off something I would like to think of as my own art and craft if it is with someone else in mind rather than my own creative impression of the subject before my glass?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In reading through this this, I found myself asking alot of the same questions as Alden presented. But in looking back at photogrpahs I took years ago and at some I have recently taken (Boy, do I have a lot to relearn/reteach myself.....) I find that yeah... I hope to please myself but in a larger sense what I am hoping to achieve is the day someone will look at what I done and be able to tell from them the kind of person I was. Like Alden, I over party and lost many chances at many things, but hopefully those losses and my outlook on life and other matters today will help those who see my images to see who I was and who I became. If that makes any sense at all.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting thread! I read somewhere a quote from someone addressing a young person looking for direction in life: Ask not what the world is looking for, ask what it is that makes you fully alive. The world is looking for people who are fully alive. (or something to that effect)

I think this is applicable here. We all have only our own potential. It is our personal journey to realize it.

Make the photographs that please you. Stay true to your own vision. Doing otherwise only takes you away from your path.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    We all have only our own potential. It is our personal journey to realize it.
    Agreed. It doesn't matter if yesterday was good, bad, or indifferent because it's passed, gone, not coming back. None of us can influence our yesterday, but all of us can do something today to influence our tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, of course 50 plus is not too late for living and creating. I meant to say that I am merely feeling regret at having not become a part of all this massive amount of production and publishing that surrounds us today, and that the need to get on with things is pressing hard right now. Photography is a great choice for a lifelong devotion, and I imagine I will always shoot. But right now I am very disturbed by these feelings of failure of vision. If I have no true passion beyond the crafting, I'll have to own up to it and bury forever this false pretention that I have anything to say. If you are pleased with your collection, you have won the battle, regardless of it's place in the world. I am not pleased with merely piling up more and more nice works that speak proudly for lenses, and tonality, but fail to move me in any way. Funny. Is the maker excluded from the pleasure and the meaning of his own creations?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would not take that fact that you haven't been discovered and appreciated for your unique vision by the art world as a true indication of your abilities. The art establishment is fickle and motivated more by the potential to make money than by recognizing true artistic vision. (That's my rationalization for not "making it" anyway.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Very interesting thread! I read somewhere a quote from someone addressing a young person looking for direction in life: Ask not what the world is looking for, ask what it is that makes you fully alive. The world is looking for people who are fully alive. (or something to that effect)

I think this is applicable here. We all have only our own potential. It is our personal journey to realize it.

Make the photographs that please you. Stay true to your own vision. Doing otherwise only takes you away from your path.

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go and do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Eric Hoffer: Philosopher

Wise words.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alden, in re-reading your post #25, I see that it is you who are dissatisfiied with your photographic efforts, specifically the vision part as opposed to the technical aspect. Rest assurred that you DO have something to say, and the dissatisfaction and questioning of your current work is just a necessary step in your artistic growth. There would be concern about stagnation if this didn't happen.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    No, the maker should absolutely not be excluded from the pleasure of their creation. I think that's why most of us make photographs, paintings, songs, what have you. Exposing film, watching a print come up in the tray, hanging a new piece on the wall, all moments that can give me a gut feeling unattainable in any other way. If other people like what you've made then even better, but the pleasure is a personal thing. Failure of vision? You have a vision otherwise you couldn't make images that speak to you.
    I've had many days when I just can't feel moved to pick up a camera or look at a photograph, but thankfully they always pass!
    Best,
    Rory

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't worry about missing out on the commercial world. Everybody I know in it wishes to be just an artist. I myself am working hard for the day when I don't have to gnaw on the rat.

Regret? Worthless. Only homo sapien thinks past time is worth something in the present or a possible future. You have the knowledge of the experience, other than that it doesn't exist, so get on with now. Take a lesson from our animal bretheren.

Last- We always work to please ourselves. Even the most selfless charitable person in the world is self absorbed in that respect. We do what pleases us, or what our little minds whip us in to doing, to please that mean little judgemental mind. That's the mind that concepts "regret".

Have a cup. Suffer beauty. Suffer some thing as you have never seen it.

You're no dummy Alden. Knock my socks off, if it pleases you.

Last edited by JBrunner; 01-01-2008 at 12:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin