Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,235   Online: 1002

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh JBrunner, you are a bard.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Oh JBrunner, you are a bard.
    Call me anything you want, except don't call me late for dinner.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Wow. You have summed up what I believe about art better than I ever have. I would like to take the liberty of saving your comments for future inspiration.
    You flatter me that my thoughts on thje subject have some meaning for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Friends and relatives are forever suggesting I photograph this or that, do weddings, high-key childrens portraits etc etc.

They dont seem to get that I photograph what I like to photograph and in a style that pleases me. If other people like what I print then thats cool but its certainly not what drives me.

I am not a professional so I have that freedom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I'm riding hard in my fabulous fifties and starting to knock onto the sexy sixties.

I take your point of sometimes being at despair of things, but there will be a swing, things turn around.

As for not really getting your backside into gear in your other lifetime, well, let bygones be bygones. You really cannot do much to redress the situation.

I myself used to despair at being forced to leave school and home at 13 1/2 years of age, not anymore, I got over it!

I only shoot to please myself these days, no weddings, Christenings, birthdays, including immediate family, unless I'm that way inclined on the day.

Having been at a quite low point, photographically speaking, some years ago, I then discovered this site, things haven't looked back since, perhaps this may be the kick you need?

You are no longer in a photographic wilderness.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as the work you are doing gives you pleasure keep at it. The fact that you are asking these questions leads me to believe that perhaps it is time to expand your horizons. Experimentation often leads to a renewed focus and enthusiasm. You may find that new subjects and approaches may not be your cup of tea, but the experience and knowledge gained will improve the work you enjoy the most.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    other than being obligated to clean up after ourselves, an artist's only obligation is to maintain his/her inspiration and enough energy and drive to act on that inspiration. If you study trends or success and follow a formula then your work is commercial. If you follow your own inspiration and work to express it to your greatest satisfaction then someone else will find inspiration in it as well. If they don't.. oh well. Working as a visual artist and gnawing on the bone of your desires shouldn't be guided by philosophical wonderings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll add another twist to this thing just to be annoying, although maybe another thread would be best, I dunno. Seems people have overlooked one simple fact, and that is, we are not all gifted. This idea of an inner world that is ours to plumb is not my experience. I've looked within for countless meditation years and all I've found in there was bad music jingles, polar bears, and Jennifer Anniston. Theres nothing there but the debris of commercial consumption. In other words, if I want to be an artist, I have to make it up. I have to say, this is what I value, but lets face it, I have to build from bits of string. Looking hard produces no self at all. No one is really there. I feel I at least am only what I do, and that good work comes primarily from work, work, work at it. Hopefully deftly and not desperate, but maybe that too. So contemporary work is not a matter of stealing trends against my true inner self, it's the very atmosphere that surrounds us all. Ignoring it may lead to entrenchment, and fogeyism.
    Unless of course you actually have something to express. I have painted and photographed, for almost forty years, and all I can truly say about it is that I have to apply considerable force to gain any ground at all. Why do it? I value it. Ijust don't find my results to be very impressive, and I fear that if I am kindly towards myself, as many of you have been kindly towards my pathetic by now moaning, that I'm done for. Hit me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Please myself only! Unless I do the work for others (with or without pay) then I would try to please the intended audience.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Is one a successful artist only if those in the art world say you are? Who cares about that world and being overly critical about oneself, really. We'll all be dead at some point, enjoy your pasttime and relish in the experience of photography. Share your photos with us here and with friends and family. I dont have that drive where I need commercial success so maybe that makes it easier for me to relax about it and enjoy. My Mamiya 645 just arrived via UPS!!!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin