Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,897   Online: 1135

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Contemporary Influences

That last thread may have drifted away from a component I was hoping to discuss ( my fault ) so I'll spin it here. Contemporary influences. Let's forget this feeling that we perhaps should keep up with changes, do any of you actually feel strongly a pull from any of them? Most new works that attract me are still in a rather classic traditional bent. The last innovators to literally change my way of thinking came from the New Topographics, way back, of Robert Adams, Joe Deal, etc. I have not since been influenced by anyone, and I feel this is not good. Have any new works really set you to thinking differently?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.billcharles.com/kander/nadavkander_1.htm

even more from this prolific photographer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I know its not a new way of thinking or a new stule of photography but I'm greatly influenced by Matt Stuart's Photographs. Probably because its something I aspire to do one day (overcome shyness...).

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting question - one that I've asked myself. I've recently subscribed to Blind Spot magazine to get a better idea of what constitutes "contemporary" photography - I've only received one issue so far, and I'm not sure yet if I actually *like* any of it, but at least it's interesting to challenge oneself with - scratches in chromagenic material, but no actual image, pages of (slightly) different moire patterns, solid colours in different shapes, "drive-by" photos of a burning trailer. Definitely challenges one's perception of what photography is, or can be, and I think that's ultimately a good thing. Will I be doing anything remotely like that? Unlikely at this point, but you never know

So, while I'm personally not inspired by any single "contemporary" photographer, I do think looking at contemporary images and thinking "outside the box", cliche as it is, is important from time to time.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My greatest contemporary influence is undoubtedly Mark Citret.

His essays are also well worth the time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm influenced by fufu:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fufusmile/

;-)

I think there is a new aesthetic forming that I am trying not to be influenced by. (not talking about fufu) There is a slickness that reminds me of the music industry in the 80s going on. I am repulsed by most of it. But with the current quality of new lenses and films being so good I find my own work starting to look more high tech. Higher Tech.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Galen Rowell is probably my most contemporary influence. William Neill, Dewitt Jones and Clyde Butcher bear mentioning as well.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://keithcarterphotographs.com/
    Sally Mann

No matter what subject I shoot, they are with me.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Certainly Mark Citret - Thanks Shawn and Keith Carter as well,

Probably greatest influence and those that are always in the back of my mind would be David Plowden and Tillman Crane
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin