Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,260   Online: 816

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My students' first shooting assignment is called "Stream of Thought" : Pick a subject and shoot it (apple, for example). What does that make you think of? (Hunger, perhaps. So you eat the apple and shoot the core). What does that core make you think of? (Garbage, perhaps). Shoot that..... do this for the entire roll.

(Disclaimer-- not my idea... this is the idea of the photo teacher I am substituting for--but I think its brilliant!)
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi, Andrey. I read through all of these posts and I hope my advise helps. As to literature, I self taught myself (redundant I know) on various literature over the years, but I found to be the most helpful Ansel Adams' Basic Photography Series of three books consisting of 'The Camera', 'The Negative' and 'The Print'. The Camera overviews cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. The Negative covers exposure and developing and THE ZONE SYSTEM. The Print covers printing and darkroom equipment. I strongly recommend these books. They are chock full of very pertinent information to film photography.

As to assignments: I have not yet set out with a specific project in mind. In fact I have found that of the images I have made I see projects developing. But I agree. I don't make images for the sake of exposing film. I see something that demands a picture and set it up so that I capture what it was that first drew me to it. It is very satisfying to know that you have made someting from your heart, truly given a piece of your soul to your photography.

An idea. I read somewhere that someone to motivate themselves would take two rolls of film . . . into their privy. Take a whole roll of images that show that they are in the bathroom and then expose the second roll with the idea in mind to remove any indication the you are in the john. That would be the challenge. To take such a small room and make 50 good images, 25 indicating your location and 25 hiding it. Just an idea. Never did it myself. Just thought it would be neat if I were to be so inspired.

Subscribe the small fee so we can some images in your gallery. We are curious.

Thank you.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Hi, Andrey. I read through all of these posts and I hope my advise helps. As to literature, I self taught myself (redundant I know) on various literature over the years, but I found to be the most helpful Ansel Adams' Basic Photography Series of three books consisting of 'The Camera', 'The Negative' and 'The Print'. The Camera overviews cameras, lenses, accessories, etc. The Negative covers exposure and developing and THE ZONE SYSTEM. The Print covers printing and darkroom equipment. I strongly recommend these books. They are chock full of very pertinent information to film photography.
    I read those. Teaches you to pre-visualize and the mechanics of it all. The problem is picking subject matter and presenting it in a new way.

An idea. I read somewhere that someone to motivate themselves would take two rolls of film . . . into their privy. Take a whole roll of images that show that they are in the bathroom and then expose the second roll with the idea in mind to remove any indication the you are in the john. That would be the challenge. To take such a small room and make 50 good images, 25 indicating your location and 25 hiding it. Just an idea. Never did it myself. Just thought it would be neat if I were to be so inspired.
    I think I'll try that.

Subscribe the small fee so we can some images in your gallery. We are curious.

Thank you.
    I won't subscribe to post my images. I'll subscribe because of the advice and to be able to view other's work.

My pics are here:
    andrew4137.fotopic.net
    Last edited by Andrey; 01-26-2008 at 01:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Great people pictures!

Most of the assignments I related had to do with overcoming reluctance in getting in front of people and getting the job done. Looking at your online portfolio...well...obviously you're already there.

You already know what you need to do: Select a universal concept that drives you and FIND that concept in your people pictures. Find an angle, work it for 18 months, find another angle and go another 18 months, repeat, repeat, repeat. You will then have defined your personal vision and leave the world with a very unique and distinctive viewpoint.

Otherwise, there is no point to this whole business.

D.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi andrey:

no real advice on what schools or programs teach.
    but jason b's advice is great.

good luck!

john

Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I can't tell you what the photography programs teach.

I can offer you this advice about the rest.

Stop big braining it. Just shoot. The rest will follow.

Your creative mind is at least four years ahead of your cognitive mind.

Stop second guessing it.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not to mention, if you develop in the privy you won't have far to hump your film.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin