Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,271   Online: 869

Shooter
    35mm

Newton's Playground - Gravity Sports + Music Festival

Hi All,
    I'm lucky enough to be entered as a competitor at the very first Newton's Playground festival in Bathurst, 3 hours west of Sydney in Australia. (Home of the famous Mt Panorama motor racing curcuit)
    http://www.newtonsplayground.com.au/main.asp
    While I'm not competing, I'm looking for some fresh ideas on how to document the 3 day event.
    There will be sports ranging from downhill street luge, downhill skateboarding and inline skating, mountain biking, bmx jumping, sky surfing, wing suit sky divers etc, with some of the events being world cup rounds.
    There will also be a few very good Australian bands playing each night.

I'd love some ideas on how to approach this in an artistic/documentary style.
    I get bored just trying to capture sports action shots and would prefer to show the event as a whole rather than small snippets of the sports...

Shooter
    35mm
    If this is in the wrong room, I'll ask one of the mods to move it...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm no expert on these matters but most of the skate/bmx/etc. photographs I see are wide angle close up shots so I would consider doing something different such as moving back and using a longer lens. This would also compress the perspective somewhat and give a different look possibly showing the competitors more in context with the surroundings e.g. foreground and background. The usual close up wide angle shots usually show a lot of sky as they are taken pointing upwards, usually at the apex of a curve.

However, what I'm describing is just a different way of taking action shots so may not be exactly what you are asking.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin