Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,438   Online: 1157

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Michel, I enjoyed your essay, and it spoke to me especially about the sequential aspect of a strip of film. It's interesting that the development of the 35mm still camera format derives from the motion picture medium. And the aspect of time, whether broken or sequential, seems an important part of 35mm photography.

On this point of the origins of a medium affecting its attributes and usage modes I am reminded of television being derived from radio technology, hence the sound aspect of TV becomes crucial; often the audio production requires a greater degree of production value than the visual. Conversely, cinema is derived from theatre, hence the reason why cinema is more visually-oriented, and also perhaps why silent film works as well as it does as a medium, as compared to, say, silent TV.

As for 35mm being, literally, a film strip, I have enjoyed exposing rolls of transparency film in my half-frame Olympus Pen D; I then request of the lab to keep the roll intact after processing, rather than cutting and slide mounting the images. These fiilm strips are then capable of being projected, via my old cassette-tape-equipped film strip projector. The images literally retain their temporal context as a sequence.

Thanks again for the thoughtful essay.

~Joe
    Last edited by Joe VanCleave; 04-11-2008 at 06:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    35mm
    Michel, your essay reads like someone trying to rationalize shooting 35mm. Why do you feel the need to do that? Your arguments for 35mm read like weak fluff that are too easy to counter. I think you miss the most important reason for shooting 35mm. Just because you like to. This is a valid reason. You don't need to justify it to anyone.

enjoy,
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't feel the need to rationalize 35mm if other people were not feeling the need to present it as useless, obsolete, or behind in the race. I've added some comments about the article in this thread, which should help to exemplify the points I'm making.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    I was just thinking about what your article said today. I had gone to MoMA, and seen so many people just snapping away with digital cameras, when I only went through one roll of Fomapan and a few shots of Kodachrome. And then I had talked to someone about why film is better than digital, and talked about how you don't have that instant feedback, the dynamic range of film, the grain, etc.

I really liked your article.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    I wouldn't feel the need to rationalize 35mm if other people were not feeling the need to present it as useless, obsolete, or behind in the race. I've added some comments about the article in this thread, which should help to exemplify the points I'm making.
    The only thing that would really upset me would be that film would become difficult to get, or worse...completely unavailable. Therefor extolling the virtues of film and buying it is very important.

I'm a little tired of film being presented as an anachronism, let alone 35mm.

Please "rationalize" as much as possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Xenu, I'm truly glad it stuck in your mind ; Paul, I won't shut my trap, I promise!

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Images
    mhv,

I found your essay well considered and thought provoking, and I think it will help me explore some questions I have been formulating and contemplating. The photo illustrations add to the whole piece. Thanks for making the essay available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jmcd ;

Thank you for the kind words!

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good article! I like the way you have tackled this by saying the film is part of the process and adds character to scene and helps you focus on creating better art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

35mm

What I try to express is it is not really the end result the picture. It is the film, exposing ,developing and making of the print is the reason it is still "MAGIC"

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin