Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,918   Online: 860

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Article about 35mm...

http://creativeimagemaker.co.uk/mod/...view.php?id=49

By yours truly thank you very much!

I've been writing that article a few weeks ago, but the recent APUG discussion on 35mm
    (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/4...up-35mm-4.html) coincides nicely with the publication.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice article!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day MHV
    great images and the most informative part of your essay, as for the text i'm not sure as to the point of your article

are you ragging digital or defending 35mm?

most of your points are unexplained, ill defined assumptions

if digital capture is "vacuum cleaning" compared to 35mm, could not the same be said of 35mm capture compared to LF capture?

what do the attractive offspring of insurance salesmen have to do with your argument?

Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post

what do the attractive offspring of insurance salesmen have to do with your argument?

Ray
    Metaphors, Ray.. Metaphors... They grow on you like fungus when you spend too much time reading books

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    g'day MHV
    Now you can even use my real name!

are you ragging digital or defending 35mm?
    Technically I'm defending 35mm, but taking a swipe or two at digital.

if digital capture is "vacuum cleaning" compared to 35mm, could not the same be said of 35mm capture compared to LF capture?
    Well, that's something I'm not entirely sure of yet. In the all-analog days, 35mm was the vacuum cleaner of photographs; now it's digital. 35mm was the small, light, fast, etc; now it's digital. 35mm was the entry point in photo; now it's digital, etc.

The way DSLR have been marketed, they were positioned as a means to entirely replace 35mm in terms of handling, lenses, quality, etc. Now that the DSLR is the building block of 21st photograph, most people either switch to it, or stick to film with larger formats. I'm trying to see if there's something left to be said for 35mm besides grain.

Concerning assumptions, well yeah, they're vague. I'm working from the inside out, starting with subjectivity instead of sticking to technical data.

As I like to point out, the word "essay" comes from the French "try," which implies the possibility of failure as well. But no risk, no glory, I guess.

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I enjoyed reading your essay. I particularly like the conceptualization of a 35mm film as a complete story, captured as it unfolds in time. The contact sheet does, indeed, add an extra layer of storytelling. I think, however, that, potentially, a 35mm digital camera can perform the same function, but, as you point out, the temptation to fill up the memory card and hope for some "keepers" is often too great to ignore.

I prefer to think of a roll of 35mm film as a finite form, one that gives me both space and limitation. I enjoy the process as much as the aesthetic of film images.

Thanks for sharing the article!

aparat

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice text. Super images in that 35mm analysis. That guy is really good photographer. Hey MHV are that pictures your? Ah you. You should say "that images are mine". Well go Canada.

Daniel OB
    www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quite a good article, as opposed to an essay, which it isn't.

Flowery writing, almost a bit too flowery, but readable.

I have to agree with Ray that some or your point(s) aren't too obvious.

That said, if this was in a magazine I would have read it through.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Mick. I was reading a book by Chris Marker about Jean Giraudoux when I wrote it, so some of his style inevitably dripped into the prose.

Maybe I'm misusing the term "essay" in English; in French, "essai" is used for any kind of reflexive, sometimes off-the-cuff or tentative prose. I think in English it's more used in the context of term paper, class essays, i.e. argumentative and structured prose.

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michel, I have to retract what I said about it not being an essay!

Essay:- A short literary composition on a particular subject.

Macquarie dictionary, second edition.

As the first description of an essay in the dictionary, is the above, you are spot on!

Mick.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin