Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,701   Online: 979

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hot for Teacher

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hot for Teacher

... nevermind the silly title reference to a Van Halen song, I have a very serious request to make, maybe the most serious I've had in APUG.

I am looking for a teacher. Or maybe more than one.

I never had an official photographic education save for an intro what-those-buttons-do class in Pittsburgh and I am missing one.
    I am missing someone to seriously critique my photography, my technique, teach me new things, help improve my skills and my vision, guide me.
    This isn't a debate whether one should learn by him/herself or be guided by someone. I have dozens of books, talked to many photographers, experimented a lot and have a mediocre portfolio to show.
    But I know I can go further and I will by myself, but I am missing the human element of a mentor, an instructor, an influence.
    I am not afraid of getting boxed in (see that other thread) and losing my personal touch, I have enough of an ego to hold my ground well.

But, I need someone to help me out with my photography.
    Is there anyone, or are there people who want to play teacher-student with me for a little bit? I promise to be a good student.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ari,
    I'd be happy to help in way I can but long distance is difficult. Are there any workshops available that you can attend? Any College or University courses? Any local art centers offering courses? etc....

BTW I think it's wonderful to reach out to others as a part of the learning process. There are many that have helped me along the way. I can say that my workshop experiences have been the most help. Beyond workshops, practice and looking at other's work has been a huge help to me. I always target a workshop that I feel will help with some specifics that I'm trying to learn or areas where I feel I need to improve. I have a few friends that always tell me that my work is wonderful regardless of what it is. Nice people and good friends but not helpful to my learning and improving. You need people that are going to be honest but do remember that opinions are just that. I always consider what others have to say regardless of weather or not I agree with them. Everyone has something to offer and I believe that I can learn from anyone.

Cheers,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ari-

I too would be happy to help for whatever it is worth. I think it would be more of a peer exchange than true mentoring, but I think there's plenty of value in that as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you replying Bill.
    I am sure any words of advice would be helpful.
    There is a teacher of photography in Athens whom I respect a lot and I have read all his (many) books and even met him once, but Athens is too expensive to travel to. And there are no workshops or serious teachers around here.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh, thank you Scott.
    I am happy that my friends are answering my pleads of help!
    I am not sure really how we could approach this, other than my desperate need for help.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What do you want to learn?

Or, maybe I should say, what do you think you need to learn?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    What do you want to learn?

Or, maybe I should say, what do you think you need to learn?
    I guess, first would be where I stand with my photography.
    But, what I really want to learn is the things I can't think about and so, I can't talk of the things I want to learn because I don't know what they are!
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sure here is my course syllabus......

Here is the course syllabus that I use for my Exploring Digital Photography course. http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffsdc/syllabus/ Look at the CIOS 258 stuff. I would work with you by email. You would direct the help that I provide by your questions and your email. Feel free to explore the resources that I have and the assignments to get a taste of what I do. I have been taking photographs since 1967, you can get an overview of my work at http://www.cysewski.com/photo/index.html
    If you are interested please contact me by email. There is no charge or anything, it just sounds like it would be fun and interesting.
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cysewski View Post
    Here is the course syllabus that I use for my Exploring Digital Photography course. http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffsdc/syllabus/ Look at the CIOS 258 stuff. I would work with you by email. You would direct the help that I provide by your questions and your email. Feel free to explore the resources that I have and the assignments to get a taste of what I do. I have been taking photographs since 1967, you can get an overview of my work at http://www.cysewski.com/photo/index.html
    If you are interested please contact me by email. There is no charge or anything, it just sounds like it would be fun and interesting.
    Steve
    Thanks Steve.
    Your CIOS 258 look like digital photography 101, but I am not interested in the basics of photography. I want to understand where I am with my work, my skills and my style and how to grow from there. I am not sure if I can ask question, because the ones that come to me, usually of technical
    nature are asked here in APUG. Technically I think, one can only help by being next to me in the darkroom or during a shoot, so I guess its more aesthetics and philosophy I am talking about.
    Maybe you or others can get an idea by visiting my website where I have some photographs and artistic/technical information posted.
    I really have no clue how to approach this.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, if there is a classroom on APUG, I want to sit at the front!

Ari, I totally understand what you mean. I'm not as advanced as you are in terms of realizations, but I can't invest the monies and energies to go to art school, and don't care either for a weekend camera club. Whatever I do with photography is maybe minor, but for me it's serious. Getting proper feedbacks, pointers, critical beatings and all that, is what I wish I could find from someone I respect.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin