Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,380   Online: 1087

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    challenge yes - possible.... I don't know..

the task for me is to make images that are not degrading the females - the pigs OR the farmers..

the problem is, that I actually don't know what to do before I have seen the farm..

I am aware, that humour here is dangerous!

hmmm - I live in Denmark - and we have just had the famous muhammed crisis..
    People here are generally "offended" that the muslim world have reacted the way it did. what about making some images putting the christianity on the wall?

a kind of crucifiction scene with the pigs as "us"... members of a religion, not really caring about it as long as we are fed....(?)

If I did that, and the danes reacted negatively, then we danes are hypocritical (?)

gotta think..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know how you'll pull this off but I'm sure we'll be floored

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about two of the (naked) models enjoying a beautiful dinner for two, surrounded by pigs and slop.

Just think of the sexist and sexual innuendos...

Maybe they shouldn't be eating bacon. Maybe they should. Why did I answer this post?
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not spend a day with the pig farmer and go through the motions with him? I think this would help you get a perspective on what the lifestyle of a pig farmer is like and at the same time you'd get to scope out the lighting situation at all points during the day and the layout of the farm. One of the hardest parts of this assignment sounds like there's so many things you can do that you might not even know where to start thinking about it. Maybe a day with the farmer can open up a dialogue of thought that would allow you to view your assignment in a new light.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow! The possibilities here...

I guess the question is, do you get paid to just make whatever art you want (or paid in advance or is there some sort of approval person and/or commitee before your art sees the light of day (and you get paid)?

If you have carte blanche, I have a couple of ideas:

- get a model that's pregnant and/or that's recently given birth with baby - show her (and the baby) with a sow that's nursing piglets (I'd say also possibly a pregnant sow, but I'm not sure the average person could tell what a pregnant sow looks like vs. a regular sow)

- (echoing ricksplace above) if one possible objective is to show reasonably sanitary conditions, set a table with a variety of food (doesn't have to be pig-based) in the barn and have the models eat while the pigs are around. Not sure what other statements that makes (dead food/live food maybe?), but it might be interesting.

If it's art that's supposed to be selected by commitee, then you'd have to be generally pretty conservative - not sure if the above would work.
    Last edited by mabman; 04-19-2008 at 08:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: oops, didn't see the same suggestion above - credited
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Before attempting this, be sure to watch this video by a fellow APUG member--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwfRA615Mx8

I suppose that if you wanted to get really sexy-crude, you could work something around the slogan used by the U.S. National Pork Board in its advertising campaigns--"Pork. The Other White Meat"--

http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com/

Have you ever roasted a filet mignon wrapped in bacon and tied? I see possibilities here...
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Wow! The possibilities here...

I guess the question is, do you get paid to just make whatever art you want (or paid in advance or is there some sort of approval person and/or commitee before your art sees the light of day (and you get paid)?

If you have carte blanche, I have a couple of ideas:

- get a model that's pregnant and/or that's recently given birth with baby - show her (and the baby) with a sow that's nursing piglets (I'd say also possibly a pregnant sow, but I'm not sure the average person could tell what a pregnant sow looks like vs. a regular sow)

- (echoing ricksplace above) if one possible objective is to show reasonably sanitary conditions, set a table with a variety of food (doesn't have to be pig-based) in the barn and have the models eat while the pigs are around. Not sure what other statements that makes (dead food/live food maybe?), but it might be interesting.

If it's art that's supposed to be selected by commitee, then you'd have to be generally pretty conservative - not sure if the above would work.
    I have carte blance - otherwise I didn't want to do it..

but then I have to think.. which is bad..

Thanks for all the suggestions above. it all helps.

About the bacon thing....... I think I'd like to make some "fashion dresses" made of bacon!
    Fashion show in a pig farm!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You won't have a project as long you continue to think to/in images. The image is an output, or what you need first is an input. The project I’m talking about is a system of ideas (abstract, not visual yet), that eventually (and only eventually) you’ll have to translate into a system of images.

Your question is: What is the relation between a human nude and a farm pig? – these are the given data. Or put it like that: What does this association make you think to? Write a list of ideas, than try to setup links between different convergent (consistent, complementary, etc.) ideas in your list, and finally fill in the holes in the new born system with other ideas. You have now your project. It’s only at that stage you should start to look how to translate all this in images.

And ideas, only you can find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow! What a great opportunity for you! They must like your work very much to have asked you to combine your work with theirs. I wonder if it would help to find out which of your photographs caused them to decide that you're the one to do this project for them?

Something that helps me with photo projects is to put words together related to possible themes. For instance, in your case, "Open Farming In An Open Society", "What's the Big Deal?" and "Pigs Love It Here" are three thoughts that came to mind after reading your original post. With these thoughts, I would come up with photographic ideas. This is the short version of what I do, and, since we all work differently, I'll stop here.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm sure it will be fantastic!

Marc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You could make a reference to Circe, the greek sorceress who transformed men into pigs...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin