Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,500   Online: 1020

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by asp.artist View Post
    Its windy and rainy in Philadelphia. My ideas about what to photograph are changing. Rather than long hikes, I'm thinking quick street shots with a smaller camera, and running into a lot of coffee shops. Subway stations could be appealing. I was wondering what everyone else does with the seasonal changes.
    Anne
    Hi Anne.

It's a question many of us this side of the pond dwell upon, too, at this time of year. Don't know if you've ever been to the UK but we can have four seasons in a day - twice - if there's a heavy system blowing across from the west. Northerly and easterly air-flows tend to be more predictable - i.e. get your thermals on 'cos it's gonna be cold and probably snowy!

Apart from a few specific expeditions to places I've needed to / wanted to visit, it's easy to become a 'fair-weather' photographer. However, this year I've set myself a project to shoot a calendar of the area in which I live (East Anglia - which is a term for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex).

By definition, it needs to be outdoors, as a shopping mall looks mostly the same any time of year - except, perhaps, Christmas. It's also a generally very flat area, so lots of big skies and cloud formations.

My biggest 'pet hate' is rain. Not because I don't like getting wet but because I don't like my kit getting wet. So, I'll be examining some waterproofing systems and buying some extra bags of silica gel to store with the camera after it's been allowed to dry for a couple of days in a warm room.

Thanks for this thread, it's sort of galvanised my resolve to get out and amongst it - come what may, weather-wise.

Paul.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Paul,

I don't know if they sell these in the UK, but here in the USA there's a company called Optech/USA that makes a product called Rainsleeve. It is a plastic bag with elastic on one end. You put the elastic hole around the lens, near the front of it (I put it on the lens hood so the whole lens is covered) and the rest of the bag goes back over your camera and keeps it dry in the rain. They're cheap, $7 for a two pack. I think that's about 4 pounds?
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canadian Rainsleeve: Take a freezer bag and cut a small opening in one end.Place camera in bag.Poke lens through hole and secure with elastic band.
    Cost:0

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a motto that has worked for me, at least in my opinion, "The worse the weather, the more interesting the photo". Human nature being what it is I am also of the opinion that such photos will be rarer.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    I go no matter what the weather with my hardy Wista 4x5. It can rain/drizzle where I live for weeks at a time so waiting for good weather isn't an option, besides, shouldn't a rain forest be photographed in the rain? When it gets really gnarly in the winter at -20c with 70 km/hr northerly outflow winds, you can always find a quiet spot out of the wind in the forest or the lee corner of a pocket beach. I love wild weather!

Murray
    Noiw that it is winter here in Wisconsin I have been enjoing one of my favorite photo accessories, Kahtoola Micro Spikes which Murray turned the APUG community onto last year. You can go anywhere any time uinder any conditions wearing these on your feet. Thanks, Murray!!..Evan Clarke

http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spikes_prod.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No Problem Evan - them puppies sure work!

Me so sad though...it's been a mild, wet winter so far

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Murray
    Terrible, it's even been mild & wet here, temperature down to 13°C during the day 6°C at night and rain to

Until I took my wife ti England last April she'd never seen snow except in films

Joking apart I don't envy you Murray it's not much fun when it's wet, and your used to wrapping up well and coping with the snow. You'd laugh your head off if you saw how the locals dress up here in the winter, thick coats, sweaters, hats, scarves etc, you'd be in a T-shirt.

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    No Problem Evan - them puppies sure work!

Murray
    Murray, Ian,
    Too bad, we have already had 0 degrees here with snow and the Lake Michigan shoreline has yielded some interesting photos. I don't scan any more but might do a couple "images" from the photographs so I can post them here..Thanks again, Murray..Evan

P.S. My neighbor and I both have the Minchin pig warmers under our paper trays and they are great too..EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Winter finally arrived here. We are having a cold snap. It only got up to 71 degrees yesterday so we had to break out the sweaters!

Brrrr ...

Stevve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Snowing again, here

The last batch went away a few days ago. I'm heading out to record the Holiday lights again tonight. Exactly what I need, another roll or two to add to the 23,476 Holiday light photos I already have from years past. They're irresistable to me, though, and I can't say that all 23,000+ are nice so it never hurts to practice.

For the most part, in Winter I do the same kind of stuff that Summer features.
    Ok, I don't use the submersible camera for it's purpose as much, but with the cold rains that Winter sometimes brings it still gets out a lot.

Jo

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin