Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,375   Online: 793

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Noiw that it is winter here in Wisconsin I have been enjoing one of my favorite photo accessories, Kahtoola Micro Spikes which Murray turned the APUG community onto last year. You can go anywhere any time uinder any conditions wearing these on your feet. Thanks, Murray!!..Evan Clarke

http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.html
    I've had those since 1984. They rock!
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Paul,

I don't know if they sell these in the UK, but here in the USA there's a company called Optech/USA that makes a product called Rainsleeve. It is a plastic bag with elastic on one end. You put the elastic hole around the lens, near the front of it (I put it on the lens hood so the whole lens is covered) and the rest of the bag goes back over your camera and keeps it dry in the rain. They're cheap, $7 for a two pack. I think that's about 4 pounds?
    Optech/ USA products are indeed sold in the UK Chris, I use their neckstraps on all my cameras.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I was just down there for Thanksgiving (San Clemente)...we spent most of the time in the ocean...I love body-surfing! The water was warm -- lower 60'sF.

Vaughn
    I was just thinking how lucky you are, anyone goes body surfing around the UK at this time of year it would be dead body surfing, the average sea temperature around our shores only varies about two degrees between Summer and Winter, even in a heatwave the water is still cold.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I was just thinking how lucky you are, anyone goes body surfing around the UK at this time of year it would be dead body surfing, the average sea temperature around our shores only varies about two degrees between Summer and Winter, even in a heatwave the water is still cold.
    You've never been to Newquay, Cornwall, then Ben in November/December

They'll be out there right now

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must admit I have never been to Cornwall Ian, and the last time I was at the South Coast was a lifetime ago in the early 60s when I did my training as a young Marine and I still recall how cold the water was more than forty years later.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Well, I know where I live is not typical of the UK, but there were two surfers on the beach last night.And I expect to see them here wherever the temperature - snow and all.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The season doesn't really bother me (in the UK its never that cold in the winter or that hot in the summer either)

I am rather partial to photography in the winter - there are far fewer people out and about to detract from my landscapes.

Fog can usefully isolate stuff from a distracting background.

Rain brings rock surfaces to life.

What bothers me is the grey overcast skies that last for days on end giving a very boring flat light - we seem to get them a lot in both mid winter and mid-summer.

To me the best light occurs when rain (or occasionally) snow storms are about to descend - the camera and I end up getting very wet - but if I have at least one decent shot in the bag, I can go home happy to dry my kit out.

Martin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin