Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,117   Online: 811

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images

winter, and where do we shoot?

Its windy and rainy in Philadelphia. My ideas about what to photograph are changing. Rather than long hikes, I'm thinking quick street shots with a smaller camera, and running into a lot of coffee shops. Subway stations could be appealing. I was wondering what everyone else does with the seasonal changes.
    Anne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Over the years I've always found the winter great for getting a different feel to the areas I'm shooting landscapes in, so I go out between the rain showers or in the snow & even fog, and of course on the good winter days too..

So no I don't change my approach to suit the seasons, now I live next to the Aegean Winters a great time as it's cool, rarely cold and not that much rain, in fact better light than in the Summer.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Parka, Boots, Mitts, toque (you'll have to look it up ) and maybe a small bottle of brandy. When it gets too cold, say around -20c and lower, there's always the brandy.

Around here winter is the perfect season for black and white shooting
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Seasons change? Novel idea...

Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having the luxury of being retired, I find it surprising how often one can get outside between bursts of bad weather. I tend to do little "projects" as opposed to continuous x many per day/week/month anyway.

Lens testing in December 2006

And film testing in February last year (on the Perkiomen Trail about 35 miles NW of Philly):
    http://www.pbase.com/dw_thomas/sqroll14
    http://www.pbase.com/dw_thomas/sqroll15

Actually, the first few shots on roll #14 were taken at the lower end of my backyard where I did almost fall on my butt negotiating the snow and ice to get down to the creek area. The trail was easier to navigate.

Just be a bit careful about dress -- especially footwear.

DaveT

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I go no matter what the weather with my hardy Wista 4x5. It can rain/drizzle where I live for weeks at a time so waiting for good weather isn't an option, besides, shouldn't a rain forest be photographed in the rain? When it gets really gnarly in the winter at -20c with 70 km/hr northerly outflow winds, you can always find a quiet spot out of the wind in the forest or the lee corner of a pocket beach. I love wild weather!

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Evening & night shots with the lights reflecting in the wet road/tram lines etc. Bad weather can be a great time to shoot, if you can keep the camera dry.

It was pouring when I took this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No better season to shoot B&W.I shoot tri-x when it's overcast/stormy and Ilford FP4+ when the sun shines.Keep the kit simple.I use one camera and lens,a few rolls of film and carry rechargeable hand warmers (from Lee Valley).
    In an urban setting I plan my jaunts between coffee shops.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Being originally from Philadelphia, I remember that that every time it would snow I would head out towards Valley Forge to do some 'winter cabin' shots. Snow covered cannons were great too. There's an old covered bridge at the NW side of the park, where rt. 23 exits. It's a left turn at the traffic light denoting the end of the actual park, then about a mile down that road (I believe it's 452?) Short walk to get set up with the snow-filling creek flowing under the bridge...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In Houston, we have maybe two winter months where the non-evergreen trees have totally shed their leaves. I am looking forward to shooting through the tree branches up at buildings, etc. This worked well in Austin where I took photos at the State House through an old oak.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin